Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting the OLED-048O064A-LPP3N00000 to a PCB

Lord_grezington

May 3, 2013
Hello Everyone

I have the OLED-048O064A in a project and I am getting the PCB re-done. at the moment I just have the flat flex cable soldered onto the board which looks very messy and will be time consuming.

I have tried ordering a few connectors to check the fit, but nothing seems to grab hold firmly. Has anyone used them before or can suggest the approtpriate connector for them?

Datasheet attached

Thanks

Attachments

• oled048o064alpp3n00000.pdf
    207.1 KB · Views: 8

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You need a matching FCP or FPC connector. Usually these come with a kind of lever or clamp that you have to open first, then insert the flat cable, then close the lever or clamp to hold the cable securely in place.

Lord_grezington

May 3, 2013
Hi Harald

Thanks for your responce. I have tried using FFC3B11-09-T and 2005290090 and neither of them grip the flat flex.

If I cant find a suitable connector, how would you reccomend soldering them to a PCB? The way I have been doing it is putting the solder on with the stencil then reflowiwing the solder. I then add a touch of flux on the solder, align the flat flex and hold it in place with a short piece of wire (it goes through the two holes and bends over of the bottom of the PCB). I then just use a soldering iron to melt the solder through the flat flex. But this will be tedious in production.

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
For production the imho only meaningful way is using the right fcp connector. It will not only be easier to mount, it will also allow replacing a defect OLED or defect PC with ease without having to throw away both only because they are soldered.
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly (the address is at the bottom of the datasheet). They should be able to recommend a suitable connector.

Lord_grezington

May 3, 2013
I called one of the distributors a while back, but they had no idea. Said they would come back to me but diddnt...

I will give the manufacturers a go.

Lord_grezington

May 3, 2013
Yeah, perhaps with an extremly sturdy hand, cheap labour and the patience of a monk...o_O

I have sent an email to the manufacturers, still wating on a responce

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Most would simply use the already made interface board.

Attachments

• Oled.jpg
    Oled.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do you think that maybe using a large soldering iron tip may work
These are afaik suitable for de-soldering as they heat up all point along the line simultaneously. These may work for soldering, too, but I think the risk of creating short circuits is too high.
You can always give it a try and see what results. The price is not prohibitive.

Lord_grezington

May 3, 2013
Manufacturers have replied to email

Quote:
"Hot-bar soldering is intended, which requires special equipment. Alternatively, hand-soldering using no-clean flux, and not cleaning the flux, are recommended. The OLEDs cannot be IR reflow soldered. Hot-air soldering may damage the OLEDs. Flux/solvent contamination can damage the OLEDs."

I found this video on a search for hot bar soldering, perhaps the large soldering head may work...

I was also sent some datasheets for various displays (they were very helpful). It seems to use the connectors they mount a mating part to the end of the flat flex. I have attached a datasheet of what they suggested, however it is the wrong size.

They also mention that most of the displays are not available online and need to be ordered on a 4-6 MONTH leadtime :eek:

Thanks for all your comments...

Attachments

• OLED-128O064D-LPP3N00F00 rev B.pdf
    542.4 KB · Views: 1