Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Contact Cleaner?

Bunky

Aug 29, 2011
Hello
im working on cleaning up an old Ham radio that has sat for years and was looking for suggestions on what to use ?

I have heard good and bad on using contact cleaners and how it can remove contacting surfaces that you don't want removed

I was told about detox has anyone used th is or is there a better suggestion

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Old or cheap electronic switches use silver-plated contacts that are good for high power electricity (the spark burns off the black tarnish) but poor for low levels. Modern high quality audio products use switches with gold-plated contacts (they do not cost more than silver-plated contacts) because gold does not tarnish. Silver contacts are OK if they are switched every day forever after being thoroughly cleaned, or they must be cleaned periodically.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm wondering if you're talking about cleaning the inside of chassis, along with any dirty switch contacts?
I use compressed 'air', either a pressured air hose, or spray can to clean-out and dust inside the chassis.
I don't recommend hosing down the entire insides with contact cleaner if that's what you're thinking.
The older contact cleaner sprays did a pretty good job, but since the EPA got into the act, they've outlawed
all the chemicals that work, and we're stuck with 'non-hazardous' spray contact cleaners that I've found to be
nearly useless. What took me 1/4 can to clean before, takes about 3 cans of the new stuff.
Before we get into a lot of detail, what exactly do you want to clean? Everything, or just some specific parts?
Also, the only big-time wipe-outs I've had were the tube numbers on vacuum tubes (if yours uses any), with cleaners. Some cleaners erase the markings on the glass tubes.
If you just want to spray-out the electrical contacts, the canned spray cleaners are probably fine.
(The new stuff barely works on dirt and grime, they won't hurt the contact metal surfaces)
Do you have badly tarnished/arc'ed contacts that might need a burnishing tool?
I've never heard of anybody using 'detox', whatever that is, so I'd steer clear of it unless you have proof
the stuff won't cause you problems with your set.

Bunky

Aug 29, 2011
I blew the transceiver out with my compressor what I want to clean is the mode switch, and other switches I will pull the boards and clean those with a eraser if needed

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Music shops sell Deoxit (I think it is called) that is used for cleaning the variable resistor volume controls and switch contacts in old geetar (rock and roll) amplifiers.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Learned something new today. Thanks Audoguru for the explanation.
Something for me to try. (And thanks Bunky for bringing the topic up).
Yeah, I use an eraser on the finger contacts on plug-in boards.
I'd try contact cleaner on the switches. I spray the stuff in and exercise the switches.
If they work fine for a few days and then get scratchy, use the contact cleaner again.
Sometimes whatever is on the switches just moves around, and needs to be sprayed-out
a second time.

Last edited: