Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Controlling ARGB LED Strip W/ Switches & DC Power Adaptor

new11

May 5, 2021
Hi everyone,
Hope you're all doing well!

I have found a NZXT Hue ARGB, strip as I was cleaning up some things.

I don't suppose anyone might know how I might be able to power and control an ARGB (Addressable RGB) led strip? These LEDs are used with a controller that is controlled connected to a PCs motherboard, controlling it.

In the past, I have taken a PC 12v RGB strip, removed the PC connecter & wired it to a 12VDC power adaptor. To control the colour of the LEDs, I simply used a few SPST switches. These's were connected to the LEDs & to the ground on the DC PSU.

However, unlike a traditional 12v RGB connecter, the ARGB connecter has only 3 wires.
(1x 5v, 1x Data & 1x Ground)

If anyone has any ideas, would love to hear them :)
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Never heard of it however, Googling came up with several videos on youtube.
Did you look at those?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Probably based on WS2812B addressable LEDs or similar.
You need a suitable controller.

Lots of DIY projects using various types of microcontrollers are to be found on the internet. Most of them based on ARDUINO, but also other controllers can be used. I once made one from an ESP01. Adapters for using WS2812B with an ESP01 are readily available. That one could log in to the local WiFi network and offered control via a webpage which it presented e.g. on the smartphone.

You can also buy off the shelf controllers for that kind of LEDs, for example this one.

Last edited:

new11

May 5, 2021
Yeah, I thought as much. I was curious to see if it would be possible only by controlling the current with mechanical switches without using a controller or ARDUINO.
In any case thanks very much for the answers guys. :)