Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Controlling lights, fans and pumps in hydroponics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengyou

Apr 14, 2012
I have started to learn about hydroponics and am looking for ways to automate the processes without spending an arm and a leg. I would like to use a Raspberry Pi to control everything. Lights, fans and pumps need to be controlled. The on/off points change with the growing phase of the plants, so fixed timers will not work. There are no high wattage things to control. Most pumps are 2-4 watts - a few will be 10 watts. Lighting is LED. Fans are 12 volt. Yes, there are off-the shelf products to do this - I am hoping to find something cheaper and something that I can repair my self if something goes wrong. I prefer cables and wire to wifi. I am a beginner in the electronics field, though I have an understanding of electrical things. It doesn't have to be pretty - just reliable and, hopefully, inexpensive. Note: I have seen USB powered water pumps (with the exception of a couple of main pumps), filters and fans. Would that simplify things?

Last edited:

pengyou

Apr 14, 2012
Thank you! that is what my limited knowledge has told me so far in the research I have done. I was hoping that I had overlooked some miraculous secret :( I have found small pumps, light arrays and fans that are powered by USB. Is there any app I can install on a Raspberry Pi that will let me shut them on and off?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Possibly.
Not up on Rasberry Pi but I do know they are used in new versions of the space invader cabinets as a pc so a search in Rasberry Pi forums might reveal something.
I still use a plc that was written for the old Windows 95 on an automated crankshaft grinder I built here so maybe there are plc apps available for the Pi.
Bit of an overkill though as I,m sure an Arduino promini or two would suffice.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
"any reasonably advanced technology is indistiguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke
So it really doesn't matter what brand or who made it, as long as it doesn't take any of the mystique away from the hobby here....!!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
So it really doesn't matter what brand or who made it, as long as it doesn't take any of the mystique away from the hobby here....!!

Once again, commenting on subject where the OP left the discussion ages ago.
However, for your benefit as it appears you cannot understand the Queen's English, the Op called for (in the first sentence) "without spending an arm and a leg".

Status
Not open for further replies.