Maker Pro
Maker Pro

conundrum, please help with circuit, new to forum, probably easy fix for some

kartop41

Aug 8, 2013
Hi, new to this forum and have a problem that should be easy for the intelligent out there. I am a simple electrician, electronics tinkerer, but not a circuit designer. The problem is. I have a digital MP3 player board by Jerry's Electronics. It plays up to 30 seperate files with the push of a momentary button on each input. It has only one open collector output that activates when any of the 30 mp3 files are playing. The push buttons i ordered have a light in each. I need the button that was pressed to illuminate while the mp3 is playing and shut off when it stops. The one collector output would illuminate all 9 buttons with a relay. This is not what I need. My only solution is to buy 9 relays with 3 sets of double throw contacts and then when lets say button 1 is pressed momentarily i use the NO contacts on relay 1 to latch the relay and then in series with NC contacts of 2-9 to ensure all of them are not activated through the switch 1 bulb to common along with the coil of relay 1 to the open collector output . In theory when the MP3 would stop, the relay would de-energize and turn off the lamp. Who knows. Please, is there a simpler way to do this with TTL or something? Any advise would be treasured.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Yes, there are several ways to do what you want. I would probably use ICs from the "4000 CMOS" series, which can operate from any power supply voltage in the range 3~15V. (Other types of logic ICs, such as TTL, are fussy about their power supply voltage.)

The details, such as which IC to use and how to connect it, depend on the details of the MP3 player and your power source.

I had a look on the Jerry's Electronics web page. It mentions button boards for controlling the MP3 player but they're not documented. Please provide a link to information on the button boards you are using, and describe the power source(s) you are using.