Maker Pro
Maker Pro

convert AC to DC

Joakim

Sep 5, 2012
hallo, i need some advise on how best i can convert DC to AC. i want to come up with a light that uses LEDs which use 3.5VDC. i want to put the light on AC (240VAC). I need some advise on components of the circuit and how to design of the conversion circuit. thank you.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I corrected the title.

Beware of the high (dangerous) voltages present in the simple circuit linked by CocaCola. This circuit will work, but you have to make sure no one touches any of the conducting parts.

If you want to be on the save side, use a small transformer, rectifier and current limiting resistor. Read the sticky post on LEDs in this forum.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
If you want to be on the save side, use a small transformer, rectifier and current limiting resistor. Read the sticky post on LEDs in this forum.

Yeah a wall wart is another option, it all depends on the final application...

Joakim

Sep 5, 2012
I corrected the title.

Beware of the high (dangerous) voltages present in the simple circuit linked by CocaCola. This circuit will work, but you have to make sure no one touches any of the conducting parts.

oh, thanks Harald. thanks for the advise

Joakim

Sep 5, 2012
Yeah a wall wart is another option, it all depends on the final application...

hey; i used a transformer, a capacitor and a set of diodes. i plugged the transformer in the wall socket (240vAC) and connected it to the set of four diodes and on the out put i connected a capacitor (3300uF). this arrangement gave me 17.67VDc.

i then connected the out put voltage to the step down of a MC34063AB which stepped the 17,67VDC down to 3.5VDC; and then supplied this to the LEDs, ten of them and gave good light out.

i wanted to find out what power the whole system was using but i failed. could you guide me on how i can trap the current into the transformer and the power used by the circuit. thanks