Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Converting laser to LED

Ideas

Oct 27, 2012
This may be a crazy question, but having next to zero knowledge on this subject Im going to go ahead and ask it.
I have an integral laser sight on my compact pistol. It is factory and fits with the design of the gun. I personally do not like laser sights because of various reasons, but thats a different subject. My question is, can you replace the laser diode with a bright LED diode so that instead of a laser sight it is a small integrated flashlight? This to me would be so much more useful, and if it were to work I would still have same good looking integral piece that it was designed to be, i would just be changing its functionality. Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
So you want a torch on your gun where teh laser sight goes? Just take off the laser sight and customise a torch to fit the mounting for it. No electronics knowledge needed at all...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Is the laser site really integral or is it on a Picatinny rail like 99% of them are? If it's on a rail just swap it out, you will get a much better light... Swapping the guts out for a single LED is probably possible but it will not give you much illumination, possibly enough for pitch black close quarters help but not much overall... If it's truely an integrated part of the gun, you could be opening up a can of worms...