Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Copyright: For Electronic Schematics and Code

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hey Everyone!

I am thinking of getting a copyright for a one schematic and about 5 pages of code. I have been working on this project for about 1.5 years, so I don't want it stolen. How would I go about doing this? Do I only need to copyright the schematic? Or do I need to copyright the code to? Were do I get a copyright?

All advise is welcome! :)

Dan

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In most civilized places in the world you already have copyright.

Copyright will not prevent it from being stolen. Secrecy might.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Sounds like your thinking of a Patent...
Steve is right though, most civilizes places consider copyright to be in place as soon as the owner makes it, provided it has not been openly shared for public use.
The copyright belong to the 'owner' who is either an individual who has written it on private time, or a business/company that employs the author at the time of creation.
You will need proof that you are the original creator / copyright holder, and it would help if you put a copyright notice on your work. (Code and Schematics)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hey Everyone!

I am thinking of getting a copyright for a one schematic and about 5 pages of code. I have been working on this project for about 1.5 years, so I don't want it stolen. How would I go about doing this? Do I only need to copyright the schematic? Or do I need to copyright the code to? Were do I get a copyright?

All advise is welcome! :)

Dan

I think as long as it is your own work then you are technically granted copyright as soon as you create the document. Although it's not legal binding in the UK you could send the design documents to yourself recorded delivery and keep them in a sealed envelope somewhere safe. It might help you prove the date you had the designs in your hand.

You could pay the intellectual property companies to do it for you but it depends on how important it is. You also can only copyright produced material and not ideas. This is what a patent is for as already mentioned.

Most copyright in the UK lasts for I think about 50 years and when you die this is removed unless you pass the copyright onto someone else. Be aware though if you have copied anything of the internet that is someone else's work you can't just copyright it, being on the internet does not mean it is in the public domain and is good game for copyrighting.

Things in the public domain is generally when the copyright has ended or someone has died and not passed on the copyright. You also don't have to apply the copyright symbol in the UK but it is recommended and you do it as follow: © (Forname) (Surname) 2014
Adam

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Thanks guys! I have to think about it some more, but I most likely will not be getting one (after all it's not like I'm going to put in on the internet).

Regards :)

Dan