Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Coronavirus transmission prevention device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDAKS

Feb 26, 2020
So sorry to butt in here good people but I have no idea about electronics.
One of the primary means of viral transmission is hand to face.
I would like to give you good people an idea.
One piece of electronics worn on the upper body need the head.
eg an amulet or neck band.
Another piece of electronics worn as a ring of wrist band.
When one piece approaches the other a squeal or audible message is heard.

The object is to remind the user NOT to touch their face without disinfecting
their hands or to use the back of their hand.
We need to be conditioned away from touching our faces with unclean hands during viral outbreaks.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That is a great idea!.
An audio amp in a back pack, a speaker round the neck and a microphone glued to the hand.
When one raises said hand near to face, feedback squeel is produced...

What happens if the person in front of me sneezes?. Presumably one would feel the moist deposits land on ones face or skin?.
Then one would use the other hand to wipe ones own face to avoid getting whacked in the head by a microphone..
You are really onto something here!.
I like it..

Martin

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Or how about using a light-weight device which doesn't need globally-warming electricity to power it? A suitably shaped area of microporous fabric worn over the nose and mouth and held in place by elasticated thread. Oh, ...... someone's thought of that already :D.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
From the above comments, it appears that I may have infected @Martaine2005 and @Alec_t with my not-so-subtle-sometimes wit. Don't worry, it's not fatal as long as there is no personal face-to-face contact, but like the herpes virus it stays with you for life.:D

@TDAKS has put forth an excellent but, however, incomplete idea. The end-user (or coronavirus victim) needs also to have electrode implants in the arm to which the ring or wristband is attached, connected by induction to a microprocessor and external power supply. Or, if the high-end super deluxe model is purchased, the external power supply and microprocessor can be replaced by an inductive charger for a battery implanted in the chest along with the microprocessor.

The implanted electrodes will administer a tetanizing jolt of electricity to appropriate effector muscles in the forearm, causing the involuntary withdrawal of the hand from the vicinity of the face, thus accomplishing what an audible warning may not do. Note also that audible warnings are ineffective for deaf people, so my shocking little addition will be effective for everyone who uses it: man, woman, and child alike without regard to race, creed, national origin, or sex (practicing or celibate). Patent pendulum on this idea. Pendulum: Latin word for the English phrase "I would file for a patent if I thought it would make me feeelthy rich."

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I gave the ex-wife a paper bag!.
Could that be why she’s now my ex?

Martin

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Hey I read a question and answer blog where someone wanted to know if he mixes chlorine bleach and alcohol and rubs it over his body will it prevent coronavirus. You know the answer - NO! It's airborne. AND you'll get chemical burns on your skin.

TDAKS

Feb 26, 2020
Oh my god !! I once thought that having knowledge enough to navigate the intricacies of electronics was an indicator of intelligence.
So far nothing but sarcasm.
The answer is a little way off as far as low cost is concerned.
I did not suggest that I had a perfect solution simply a method to minimise
one means of contagion.
It's easy to stay 1-2 metres from coughing or sneezing individuals but avoiding
transfer from contaminated surfaces is a whole other ball game.
The tech has been here for many years but making it cheaper would be the challenge.
https://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?7516

Last edited:

TDAKS

Feb 26, 2020
Adapting existing technology should have been easy for you guys.
Perhaps it is more a matter of little old me not having even so much as diode theory
under my belt :)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Perhaps it is more a matter of little old me not having even so much as diode theory
under my belt
And yet you dare point to a link that you think addresses your ill-defined problem? Diode theory? How about some common sense first? If your contraption "goes off" every time the wearer moves a fork or a spoon towards their mouth, how do you propose to handle that? Turn it off while eating? Yeah, riiiiight! Remove it and throw it in the trash is more likely... unless of course a person is forced to wear it under authority of The Law. So, to which police state would you first sell your invention? North Korea would be an ideal customer.

So sorry to butt in here good people but I have no idea about electronics.
Amen to that. Maybe you should learn something about electronics before posting here. This is not a teaching forum, per se, although if you leave more educated than when you arrived, no one here will complain about that. Electronics Point is a discussion forum. Implicit to participation here is that you have some understanding of electricity. Electronics builds on that understanding. We help those who help themselves by engaging in a back-and-forth dialog where ideas are freely exchanged and constructive suggestions are made. But not all ideas are deemed worthy of discussion.

We need to be conditioned away from touching our faces with unclean hands during viral outbreaks.
Gee, most of us were taught good hygiene practices somewhere around the age of three or so. Don't play in the brown stinky stuff you left in the toilet. Wash your hands after using the toilet and before coming to the dinner table for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Same-o, same-o if preparing a snack in between meals. Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or your hand when coughing and then wash your hands afterwards and properly dispose or launder the handkerchief. Yada, yada, yada. If anything, we need to be conditioned against liberals who think everything needs to be controlled.

TDAKS

Feb 26, 2020
Have a great time patting each other on the back.

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Giving it a few seconds of serious consideration, my hands come nearer my head quite often, but hands near my face (inaccurate proximity such as you described as "eg an amulet or neck band" ) doesn't necessarily mean I'm touching my face, let alone sticking my fingers in my mouth, nose, or eyes. Proximity happens often enough that this thing going off would get annoying so I'd disable it, then forget to re-enable it (or not want to) as easily as forgetting to disinfect my hands.

If the virus has an outbreak closer to my location, then I suspect I'll be more mindful of infection routes including hand washing and/or a respirator mask.

Last edited:

bob.steel

Feb 27, 2020
And yet you dare point to a link that you think addresses your ill-defined problem? Diode theory? How about some common sense first? If your contraption "goes off" every time the wearer moves a fork or a spoon towards their mouth, how do you propose to handle that? Turn it off while eating? Yeah, riiiiight! Remove it and throw it in the trash is more likely... unless of course a person is forced to wear it under authority of The Law. So, to which police state would you first sell your invention? North Korea would be an ideal customer.

Amen to that. Maybe you should learn something about electronics before posting here. This is not a teaching forum, per se, although if you leave more educated than when you arrived, no one here will complain about that. Electronics Point is a discussion forum. Implicit to participation here is that you have some understanding of electricity. Electronics builds on that understanding. We help those who help themselves by engaging in a back-and-forth dialog where ideas are freely exchanged and constructive suggestions are made. But not all ideas are deemed worthy of discussion.

Gee, most of us were taught good hygiene practices somewhere around the age of three or so. Don't play in the brown stinky stuff you left in the toilet. Wash your hands after using the toilet and before coming to the dinner table for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Same-o, same-o if preparing a snack in between meals. Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or your hand when coughing and then wash your hands afterwards and properly dispose or launder the handkerchief. Yada, yada, yada. If anything, we need to be conditioned against liberals who think everything needs to be controlled.

Crikey what a cranky old grouch in his armchair at home !

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hey *steve*, 'Twilight Zone ' Post maybe?
The link the OP posted was a blurb describing an RF-ID device, to be worn by an Alzheimer victim to sound an alarm if the RF-ID reader, installed in a doorway leading outdoors, was triggered by the Alzheimer "patient" attempting to escape confinement.

So not exactly a Twilight Zone thread (yet), but I find the whole concept grating against the principles of freedom and self-determination, especially if mandated by government authority. Not to mention the impracticality of the idea as mentioned by @dave9 in post #15.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
principles of freedom and self-determination, especially if mandated by government authority. Not to mention the impractic
This ‘cranky old grouch’ @bob.steel will take his last breath with a multimeter and jumper wires in his pockets.
Nothing ‘cranky’ about being practical and honest!.

Martin

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I tend to agree that some wording was a bit harsh.

In defense of TDAKS, he probably linked to show it's possible to sense hand proximity.

I find it admirable for someone to throw ideas out there, even if crazy or impractical. Perhaps it could inspire someone to adapt an arbitrary idea into something useful.

The worst one can say is "No, that's dumb".

Let's not forget that many inventions were first scoffed at.
The Royal society of engineering once said Edison's electric light was "unworthy of the attention of practical or scientific men"
It was also said ....why have telephones when you've got plenty of messenger boys?

On the other hand, if you throw out ridiculous ideas, you can expect to be ridiculed.

I must admit I'm really enjoying the comedy factor here.

Status
Not open for further replies.