Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Coronavirus transmission prevention device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In regard to face mask.

Here's some things about the use of single use face masks.
  • If you have unrestricted breathing, you're not wearing it right
  • If it doesn't leave lines on your face when you take it off, you're not wearing it right
  • If it's comfortable, you're not wearing it right
  • If you don't change it after touching it, you're not wearing it right
  • If you continue wearing it after it becomes damp, you're not wearing it right
  • If you reuse it, you're not wearing it right.
  • If you have more facial hair than a moustache and a soul patch, you're not wearing it right.
  • If you pull it down to eat/drink/smoke/talk, you're not wearing it right.
  • If you don't clean your hands before and after handling/touching/fitting/removing the mask, you're not wearing it right

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Don't take this the wrong way but I wish I had as much time to kill as
hevans1944
I have only "as much time to kill" as I have time left to live, but I seldom worry about how much that is or how best to use it. Posting here is one of the few vices left that I can still afford, but there are always other things to do... even (or especially) in retirement. Maybe more so in retirement because, as the @Audioguru said, "every day is a Saturday for us." That means wife can find things for me to do around the house and in the garden besides mowing our lawn every week. She did spring for a slightly used John Deere riding tractor/lawn mower, a huge improvement over the self-propelled hand mower I was using. What used to take a couple of hours behind the hand mower is now a fifteen minute job sitting down if I place the pedal to the metal and damn the torpedoes.

Jeez, speaking of vices I gave up, I even had to give up Twinkies because of my Type 2 diabetes! I thought I was safe when Hostess went bankrupt in 2012 and quit baking and selling Twinkies, therefore removing their temptation and leaving only Little Debbie baked goods, which were not as popular in Dayton, Ohio when I was living there. I had to go out of my way to find Little Debbie products. But now Wally World is selling the revived Hostess products, including Twinkies and cupcakes and similar stuff, at a huge discount compared to convenience stores.

Little Debbie also seems to be popular here in Florida. So, once in awhile, I will buy a pair of Twinkies and eat them before I get home. Wife somehow always seems to know whenever I do this. However, for some reason, she doesn't scold me if I buy a couple boxes of six Little Debbie donut sticks and bring those home to share. And I can bake as much as I want... cakes, pies, biscuits. I am also learning how to make dumplings, as in "chicken and dumplins," using just three secret ingredients, one of which is virgin cold-pressed olive oil.

So, my advice to you @TDAKS is to avoid crowds, avoid public transportation of any kind, and to stop smoking. You may still catch a virus once in awhile, but you can save enough money by not smoking cigarettes to buy a nice retirement annuity in twenty or thirty years. Sure wish someone had told me that when I hadn't yet turned thirty, and that I would have been smart enough or wise enough to take their advice.

TDAKS

Feb 26, 2020
20-30 years ? Wish that you were seeing it in a crystal ball. I am pushing 71 and still having to work :(
Heading to corona country soon ( Malaysia ). Hoping they don't close the border in Australia behind me.
Just thought of the possibility of carrying a small bag full of cut off turtle necks.
Better fit than most masks and washable.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
woman designed a bra that could be used as a pair of face masks. Not the black
lace ones I bet.
Might be fun to say "quick take off your bra, that guy just sneezed!" Of course any heavy breathing would defeat the purpose.

Sanu

Feb 14, 2020
The news says that most events such as school, church, mosque or trips to Mecca are susceptible to the Corona virus.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Today's news said that 44 people have died and hundreds of people were poisoned in Iran by drinking industrial-grade alcohol because a rumor said it would kill the virus. Islamic people are banned from making or drinking booze.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I am pushing 71 and still having to work
I am still trying to find paying work that I can do from at home. I was "retired" from my last job at the end of December 2014, at age 70. My manager said there was no more particle accelerator work, which was may have been true, but I had been building electronics instrumentation for the surface laboratory for years before that. Guess they thought they could hire someone less expensive to do it after I was gone. I did get a nice letter from HR saying it wasn't my fault, so I was eligible to collect Ohio unemployment while looking for another job, but I just decided to accept that I was now retired and go on from there.

Wife and I bought a house and moved to Florida in 2016. Discovered I couldn't practice engineering in Florida without a Professional Engineer license. Never needed one in Ohio, working for defense contractors. If I were to be hired to work for an aerospace company here, I wouldn't need a PE license to do that either, but who hires 75 year old men with terminal heart disease? Maybe I will try my hand at writing... doesn't pay much, but it would keep me busy and I could write from anywhere. If successful at it, I might even be able to write while sitting on a folding chair at a nearby semi-private beach. Would need some way to keep sand out of the keyboard though.

Keep pushing, @TDAKS, because 71 is considered young where I am living now. As an Aussie, you should expect to live to at least 80 (the new middle-age) with a good chance to break the century mark in 29 more years. Just stay healthy and don't die to do that.

Just thought of the possibility of carrying a small bag full of cut off turtle necks.
Better fit than most masks and washable.
When I read that, I had this image of you cutting the heads off of giant Australian sea turtles to collect their turtle necks. I don't even know if turtles exist "down under" but the image was somewhat disturbing. Most turtles, and sea turtles especially, are a protected species here in Florida. I happen to like turtles and terrapins from experiences I had as a kid, exploring nearby bayous while living in Louisiana in the 1950s. But after reading your post again and again (several times) it suddenly occurred to me that you were talking about clothing, specifically clothing with turtle necks. A balaclava would also work, but may be too warm for Malasia. Plus you would somehow have to NOT look like a potential terrorist or bank robber. So, I guess a turtle neck it is.:cool:
upload_2020-3-10_18-48-21.jpeg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My prediction may not be realised, but the shape of the curve is telling...

upload_2020-3-12_7-49-14.png

And for those of you interested in the log graph.

upload_2020-3-12_7-56-8.png

For those of you in the US, it may be worth looking at what is happening in Italy if it hasn't been widely reported on your news.

My gut feeling is that there are probably far more cases than confirmed, and that means the illness caused by the virus is less than that calculated by looking at reported deaths vs confirmed cases. That's probably not overly comforting if you're in a high risk group for poor outcomes.

For anyone looking for some advice, I would turn to a site I have some confidence in. Whilst the number of cases in Western Australia (WA) remain low (9, with 1 death) the Health Department is taking this very seriously. See here https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus Note that the advice is specific to WA, however the general prinicples are the same world-wide.

Unless there are a huge number of cases where you live, social distancing, avoiding touching your face, and frequent hand washing are your best defences. It's a really good time to catch up on a couple of seasons of anything on Netflix right now.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I somehow lost track of time while cooking dinner for me and my wife yesterday, and so forgot to attend the March meeting of the Tamiami Amateur Radio Club (TARC). Then I opened an e-mail from the president of the club saying the meeting WOULD NOT be canceled because of any threat from the Corona Virus, the rationale being (1) there have been no reported (discovered) infections in Sarasota county (Venice is in Sarasota county), (2) the City of Venice recently held its 5K Shark's Tooth race, 3K Shark's Head race, and a public swap meet without incident, and (3) most TARC members are over 65 years of age and are capable of deciding for themselves whether the risk of infection from attending a TARC meeting is acceptable or not. I have missed the previous two or three meetings this year, but I had intended to attend the meeting yesterday. Oh, well... the club posts minutes of the meetings in their newsletter every month, so I guess that will have to do me until April.

Unless there are a huge number of cases where you live, social distancing, avoiding touching your face, and frequent hand washing are your best defences. It's a really good time to catch up on a couple of seasons of anything on Netflix right now.
Roger, that. I have been binge-watching a LOT of old TV series dating back to almost since television network broadcasts were invented. Most of that stuff went into syndication decades ago and would often appear on local channels after midnight, interrupted quite often with "money back" commercials for things like Ginzu knives, veggy slicers, dicers, and choppers, etc. We haven't watched any OTA (Over The Air) television since before the turn of the century, when we dropped our cable TV subscription and replaced it with an Internet service provider who also happened to own the cable monopoly in Dayton, OH. So out with the old cable TV box (necessary to un-scramble the channels) and in with the cable modem.

Finding old episodes of Gunsmoke or Have Gun - Will Travel (Paladin) to stream is fun, but most of the YouTube stuff has been removed and what remains for streaming is often behind a pay-wall. Turns out Netflix still rents DVDs under DVD.com. We used to subscribe to that as a monthly service with no specified return date, no late fees, and pre-paid envelopes for returning the disks. Then, after Internet bandwidth improved enough to make it possible, we started streaming Netflix and dropped the DVD subscription. Back to binge watching!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, it hasn't got 100k yet, but...
Screenshot_20200315-112147.png

TDAKS

Feb 26, 2020
Sarasota County Government is under a state of emergency, and the Emergency Operations Center is activated.
I sure hope this hasn't affected you. We just returned from Malaysia which was totally locked down. Not much point in continuing
our vacation if all we could do was stare at empty streets from our hotel room. I felt so sorry for them. My wife came down with and was hospitalized for suspected COVID 19 but thankfully tested negative. Just a garden variety cold or flu. In home quarantine now with 9 days to go although when we are finally able to get out and about there may be a complete lock down in effect. Early days.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
Was thinking some form of UV device for disinfecting surfaces, clothes and food stuff might be actually useful but my knowledge is very limited on such things. High power UV can probably destroy any kind of bacteria or living organism but it also seems to be very harmful for the eyes.

KingWhiskers

Apr 6, 2020
Well if you were a professional paint sprayer of cars and the like it would be normal attire for you.

:)

bob.steel

Feb 27, 2020
Here's some things about the use of single use face masks.
  • If you have unrestricted breathing, you're not wearing it right
  • If it doesn't leave lines on your face when you take it off, you're not wearing it right
  • If it's comfortable, you're not wearing it right
  • If you don't change it after touching it, you're not wearing it right
  • If you continue wearing it after it becomes damp, you're not wearing it right
  • If you reuse it, you're not wearing it right.
  • If you have more facial hair than a moustache and a soul patch, you're not wearing it right.
  • If you pull it down to eat/drink/smoke/talk, you're not wearing it right.
  • If you don't clean your hands before and after handling/touching/fitting/removing the mask, you're not wearing it right
BUT .....I'm wearing it none the less.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Fortunately, it looks like the US has gotten things partially under control. The rate of increase seems to be more or less linear recently.

However, India is about to hit 10,000 cases. If both the US and India continue at the same rate, India will pass the US in about mid May. I expect India to have about 1,000,000 cases by then.

However, I fear the rate of growth in India is higher than currently reported by a larger margin than the US. If that is true, India will pass the US earlier and be in real trouble by the end of May.

The spread in NY was rapid, at least in part, because of the high population density and it was not helped by the pooularity of mass transit. India has population densities that are also very high, and it also has significant reliance on mass transit. I believe most of the train system has been shut down, but I'm not sure that will be enough. I think there's a large part of the population that can't self isolate, and plenty of the rest probably won't.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The US has been slow to respond to the novel coronavirus. It now appears that self-isolation is the ONLY protocol that actually slows the spread of COVID-19 (COronaVIrus Disease-2019).

If infected and death occurs, it is usually a result of acute respiratory failure with pneumonia symptoms being the causative contributing factor. I have had two pneumonia vaccinations, but I doubt that would be effective against COVID-19. COVID-19 may also indicate infection of organs other than the lungs, so a weak autoimmune system can make an infected person more susceptible to death instead of recovery. This is indeed a scary virus although, so far, the death rate is a small fraction of those who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

I have been mostly house-bound for almost two months now, wife doing all the shopping and disinfecting what she brings home. So far, so good. No symptoms of COVID-19 in either of us. It sure would be nice if wife and I could get a test that was specific for the novel coronavirus, but the few test kits that use reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) for definitive identification are apparently not available, or are reserved for other uses, not to be offered to the general population. More information available in this Google search result.

There have been reports that patients, recovering in hospitals in South Korea, who test negative for COVID-19 (thereby being eligible for discharge), have a few days later tested positive for the novel coronavirus. It is not certain what this means in terms of communicability of the disease, but perhaps it means the pandemic will NEVER be over, that the novel coronavirus is here to stay. Let's hope an effective vaccine is developed "real soon now" before the whole world disintegrates.

Although I consider myself fairly brave, and somewhat of a risk taker, I am not yet willing to deliberately expose myself to COVID-19 infection in the hope that (1) I will survive and (2) infection will produce enough antibodies to make me immune to infection again next year. It would be somewhat of a comfort if my wife and I could receive a test that would tell us whether or not we had been exposed to, and recovered from, infection by the novel coronavirus. A positive result would probably be enough encouragement for me to venture forth into the real world... or what's left of it.

Florida is almost completely shut down now... according to one news-video I saw yesterday, tomato and other crops have been left to rot in the fields because there are no retail our wholesale establishments still open to accept produce deliveries. That seems really stupid to me, since tomatoes can be easily canned for future use. I haven't seen any lack of produce at Detwiler's farm market yet, nor any lack of produce at Publix or Wal-Mart grocery stores, so the "news-video" may have just been more left-wing MSM scareware.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
Only way it will be over anytime soon is continuing the quarantine process further. Otherwise there will be second spread of the virus and I don't see it differing in any way from the first wave.

Signs indicate that there will be second wave in China soon enough which is not very good for the rest of the planet. Its understandable that governments want to lessen the quarantine as soon as possible, but that is problematic. What Hevans said about the patients tested with the virus again, it seems to be most likely only result of patients released too soon when they were still infected with the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.