Maker Pro
Maker Pro

correct power adaptor?

dollsey74

Nov 23, 2009
Greetings everyone,

I have a Philips Sound Selector ST300 (a sound machine), but cannot find the power adaptor cord for it. According to the information on the device, it's 12.0V and 500mA and accepts a DC plug. I'm completely clueless. Any ideas on what type of power adaptor cord I need to purchase?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

warf135

May 21, 2011
I know this post is very old now, but to assist others who may read this... goto ebay and type in the search box '12v dc 500mA power supply' you should find many on there which are suitable.

The voltage needs to be very close to 12 volts (eg: 11.5v or 12.5v is ok). The amperage can be higher than 500mA... you could use 800mA or even 1A, but do not use a lower mA rating (eg 300mA) as it will get very hot in use and probably burn out very quickly.

Norm (aka warf135)

kwoolsey94

Feb 14, 2011
take those stats to a electrical hardware store. Not best buy or anyone like that. Take somewhere that sells caps resistors leds. Raw materials and im sure they could help you alot better depending on your location.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Radio shack used to carry them, maybe still does.
Make sure you've got your polarity right on that DC plug.
(They're made both ways, internal barrel positive, or negative. Make sure you've got
the right one)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hey guys the thread is 2 years old!!

the OP prob isnt even still around this was their only post

warf135, try and avoid resurecting old dead threads :) its sorta frowned upon ... waste of time etc

Dave

warf135

May 21, 2011
The only reason I replied to this old post, is to help others that may find this post when looking for a solution themselves... hence my opening line "I know this post is very old now, but to assist others who may read this..."

How many times have I been looking for answers on forums only to find that the question has not been answered? -loads!

What has surprised me is that for 2 years this post had no replies, and then I post a reply then others do too.

"its sorta frowned upon ..." - ok i'll avoid doing it in the future, thanks for the advice.

Norm (aka Warf135)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The only reason I replied to this old post, is to help others that may find this post when looking for a solution themselves... hence my opening line "I know this post is very old now, but to assist others who may read this..."
How many times have I been looking for answers on forums only to find that the question has not been answered? -loads!
What has surprised me is that for 2 years this post had no replies, and then I post a reply then others do too.
"its sorta frowned upon ..." - ok i'll avoid doing it in the future, thanks for the advice.
Norm (aka Warf135)

If you have some good info to share you are better off creating your own new up to date thread. If it has some really good info ... Steve will often make a "sticky" so that it doesnt get lost in time down all the threads, for example the 555 timer one, the one on using LEDs etc and he will add to it as more info comes available

its sorta frowned upon ..." - ok i'll avoid doing it in the future, thanks for the advice.

not just on this forum ... most have that "thought" in fact some forums I'm on, offenders will a serious rah rah from the moderators and other users ;)
its one of those things that falls into the "forum etiquette" box... like stealing some one elses thread for your own questions totally unrelated to the ongoing topic

take care
keep the solder flowing and dont pick up the wrong end of the soldering iron ;)

cheers
Dave