Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Correct voltage

Kaylore

Jan 14, 2016
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have an older 20 channel scanner. I lost the power supply. I have a charger for my sons power wheel which reads 12V-1.0A. The scanner takes a 12V 300Ma I took the scanner apart to locate the neg. and pos. I plugged in the charger and ran leads to the scanner it came on and did what it should after a few seconds I disconnect. Not sure if prolonged what would happen. I checked the charger output voltage that was plugged into the hot receptacle. My meter was showing 13.4 volts. Awhile back I overloaded the meter and its acted up since then. So the 13.4 may not be exact. My question can I use the charger to power up the scanner. And can you recalibrate a knight k-810 volt meter? after the OL I checked the fuse and it was still good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 126

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It should be fine. The 1A rating on the power supply is just an upper bound on what it can supply. Your radio will draw the current it requires.

Your electricity supply can supply perhaps hundreds of amps, but a light bulb plugged into a light socket draws only what it needs.

I would recommend making a plug and carefully wiring it correctly. Connecting the power backwards or accidentally shorting something while connecting the power internally to your radio could be very bad.

Kaylore

Jan 14, 2016
G
It should be fine. The 1A rating on the power supply is just an upper bound on what it can supply. Your radio will draw the current it requires.

Your electricity supply can supply perhaps hundreds of amps, but a light bulb plugged into a light socket draws only what it needs.

I would recommend making a plug and carefully wiring it correctly. Connecting the power backwards or accidentally shorting something while connecting the power internally to your radio could be very bad.
reat thanks for the reply

Kaylore

Jan 14, 2016
G

reat thanks for the reply
It was easier to go down to the local thrift store in the electronic bin I found a power supply 12V. 200mA for $2.09. Works great. So it all worked out

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
beware that your radio claims it requires up to 300mA and you have purchased an adapter not rated as capable of supplying that much current. If it gets really hot, or stops working, you'll need to buy one capable of supplying at least 300mA. It's quite likely that in normal circumstances the required current wont reach 300mA, and may be significantly lower, but you cant be certain.