Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CostCo Christmas Tree Transformer Replacement

TVRV8S

Dec 21, 2020
Hello

Our rather expensive CostCo Christmas tree has gone kaput with a few days til Christmas day. The wire coming out of the moulded wall plug has broken.

I'm now on the (perhaps futile) hunt for a replacement transformer to cheer up my very dejected girlfriend.

I wondered if you kind bods had any information that would help me find one? I've Googled extensively but without really knowing terms I might need to know for the connector type. Plus I'm not an electronics guy.

The UK plug is a KPTEC LED driver model K25V3000083B constant voltage. Output is 30V and then some dots and 0.83A and then 24.9W. The connector between the transformer and the tree lights is a round two pin that screws together with a shroud. I'm going to try to upload a pic.

If I can't get a replacement transformer with the correct connector (unlikely) then I wondered if I could buy a transformer of the correct output, strip the wires and connect them using a connector block. Obviously it would have to be ultra safe, being mains powered.

We don't really want to give up on a £400 tree after 2 years for a total of 6 weeks use!

We'll be getting in contact with CostCo but I don't hold out much hope.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 19

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Welcome. Why do you want another transformer if it's the plug that's broken?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The adapter hold information on polarity:

TVRV8S plug.jpg

With this information, you can replace the plug with a fitting counter plug.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.
This is not a simple transformer, it is a power supply, most likely switch mode, with DC output. I doubt you can find a 1-by-1 replacement. But I see these options:
  1. Break open the wall wart and replace the wire. Then seal the wall wart with epoxy for good protection. Possibly not your preferred venue ;).
  2. Get a new power supply. I find this one on Amazon which matches your requirements pretty well. It has 29.4 V output vs. the original 30 V which should not be an issue, maybe the Lights on your tree will be a tad dimmer. Output current at 1 A is more than sufficient for the tree. You then have to cut ff the plug on the cable end both from the tree and the wall wart as they do not match and are therefore useless. Connect the lose strands of the wall wart's output to the lose ends of the tree's input. The only thing to observe is correct polarity: "+" needs to match "+" and "-2 needs to match "-". I se the plug from the christmas tree has the appropriate markings, the plug of the wall wart has "+" on the inner contact, "-" on the outer contact. If you are lucky, the wires within the insulation coming from the wall wart are color coded (black = "-", red = "+"). If not a multimeter would be required to identify the correct polarity. Reverse polarity may destroy the LEDs on your tree. Standard terminal strips can be used to connect tree and wall wart.
    This 30 V wall wart may also work.
  3. Depending on where the cable coming out of the wall wart has broken: If there is sufficient length remaining, simply cut the cable at the point where it is broken and re-wire the connection as explained above.

Cheers
Harald Kapp