Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Could use some help selecting a graphics/tft board with PIC micro controller

sideburn

Jun 14, 2013
Hello,

I didn't have any luck with this on the Microchip forum so I htought I would try here.

I am interested in experimenting with graphics and touch display user interfaces but I am having difficulty finding the right development board for me.

At first I thought the Mikromedia Board for PIC18 would be a good fit for me because I don't think I need anything more than an 8-bit system but I use MPLABX on a Mac with XC compilers and all o f the sample code included with the Mikromedia board require their MikroC compiler / IDE that I don't want to purchase, learn, and be forced to use a windows OS.

However, based on the product description, you can use the Microchip Graphic Object Library. But when i search for the Microchip Graphics Library , the only one I can find is for 16 and 32bit microcontrollers.

There are 16 and 32 bit Mikromedia boards as well, the prices are good and they look like nice boards. I am just worried that I will struggle getting sample code to compile and run with mplabx. And I am not sure if I should step up to 16 or 32 bit instead of 8.

Can someone recommend these or a good multimedia board that I can use to get up and running fairly quickly with sample c code that works in my development environment?

I woud prefer to have some working sample code to get me up and running quickly.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Tavis

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Did you look at the amount of RAM on the 8-bit microcontroller? I think you will find it insufficient to handle a graphics screen.

Bop

sideburn

Jun 14, 2013
Yes, i finally just bit it and bought the 32bit one.. I cant beleive theres nothing on google and not much activity in the forums about this. I'm just going to see what I can do by myself.. hopefully theres some sample code somewhere that will work to get me started or I guess I'm going to have to learn the MikroC libraries, buy their compiler, and get a windows box. :(