Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Creating Square or sawtooth waves

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
Hi,

I was just playing with a software program that generates different tones (sine, square & sawtooth) and had a think about how these waves are created with components in a circuit
especially if there was a wide range in hz and an amplification of 0 -1. So i'll take a guess at this: i use a special type of IC for the hz and a trimpot switched fully on (to represent 1) for the amplifier.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
There are so many ways to generate different waveforms. From discrete transistor circuits, standard ICs (e.g. OpAmps) , specialized ICs to digital synthesis using µcontrollers.

You need to know primarily the frequency range. Amplitude of voltage and/or current can be set independently by an amplifier or attenuator.

Go Google for the circuit you like, come back with detailed questions.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Let me give you a car analogy...

I was just playing with a software program that generates different tones (sine, square & sawtooth)

I was just playing with a software program that shows me different types of vehicles (car, truck, and train)

and had a think about how these waves are created with components in a circuit
and had a think about how these vehicles are made in a factory

especially if there was a wide range in hz and an amplification of 0 -1.
especially if there is a wide range in miles per hour and colour

So i'll take a guess at this:
So I'll take a guess at this:

i use a special type of IC for the hz
I use a special machine for the miles per hour

and a trimpot switched fully on (to represent 1) for the amplifier.

and a screw tightened really tight (to represent potato) for the colour.

Thoughts anyone?
Yes, your thoughts are full of words which don't mean what you think they do.

An oscillator generates a periodic waveform. The type of the oscillator (and possibly any filtering you apply) determines the shape of the waveform.

Different waveforms (at the same frequency) sound quite different.

The frequency (measured in Hz) is determined by component values that cause the oscillator to oscillate at a certain frequency.

An amplifier makes the sounds louder. An oscillator needs to be able to amplify (so that the oscillations are maintained) but this is just part of what makes it an oscillator.

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
There are so many ways to generate different waveforms. From discrete transistor circuits, standard ICs (e.g. OpAmps) , specialized ICs to digital synthesis using µcontrollers.

You need to know primarily the frequency range. Amplitude of voltage and/or current can be set independently by an amplifier or attenuator.

Go Google for the circuit you like, come back with detailed questions.

Ok thanks Harald & Steve. I have found one which confuses me as there is an fm source on this circuit going into the same component as the battery source. The file is attached.

Attachments

• WIDE-FREQUENCY-RANGE-PULSE-GENERATOR.gif
    WIDE-FREQUENCY-RANGE-PULSE-GENERATOR.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 130

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Using the pot you adjust the frequenvy manuall. The FM input allows setting the frequency electronically.

This is most probably not the circuit you're looking for - it uses that TC9400 voltage to frequency converter module.

You still haven't told us any of your requirements, so we are not able to help you more.

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
Using the pot you adjust the frequenvy manuall. The FM input allows setting the frequency electronically.

This is most probably not the circuit you're looking for - it uses that TC9400 voltage to frequency converter module.

You still haven't told us any of your requirements, so we are not able to help you more.

here are my requirements and questions:

- 3 v constant supply current to the waveform generator, the amplifier and the LED circuit
- An amp that increases the wave form loudness (what components do i need for the output after the amplifier? I'm afraid that the LED which comes after the amplifier will explode or get burnt out if i use a 220 ohm or 150 ohm, will it?)
-

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
here are my requirements and questions:

- 3 v constant supply current to the waveform generator,

So you want the generator to be powered by a 3V battery ?

the amplifier and the LED circuit
- An amp that increases the wave form loudness (what components do i need for the output after the amplifier?

OK ... so how loud ? will a small speaker 1 to 5W be enough? ... that would be easily heard

I'm afraid that the LED which comes after the amplifier will explode or get burnt out if i use a 220 ohm or 150 ohm, will it?)
-

Why on earth would you want to put a LED on the output of the amplifier ??
its pointless will serve no purpose .... use a speaker as I suggested earlier

Dave