Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cree XHP70 Anti collision strobe

Thewrenchking

Oct 3, 2021
Hello All.
recently purchased this product. An anti collision strobe featuring 4 x XHP70 in series (specs state 8000lm 80w and 6500k).
...Pretty underwhelmed with its performance though.

Its nicely packaged for my application, chunk of billet aluminium for the body and whole thing potted in epoxy but I really want more Jam out of it.

power wise I have a 70w coil which charges a 7ah lead acid battery so I should have lots of power to spare considering this thing has such a low duty cycle (flash,flash,pause.) think aircraft strobe flash pattern. I have opened up the electronics box attached, not sure what to comment about it, the size of a buck/boost converter going to some capacitors.

I am not worried about lifespan (well, 100hr would be nice) or cost or heat- everything below fire is acceptable

My question is: what can I do on the input side of things to really supercharge this light?
crank the voltage going to it?
some big capacitors?

Ditch it and go xenon?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 4xcree.PNG
    4xcree.PNG
    923.1 KB · Views: 5

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

I have deleted your old thread, as the info is almost the same.
You now posted more info on the lamp.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
My question is: what can I do on the input side of things to really supercharge this light?
Imho nothing you can do on the input side. There is integrated electronics to control the strobe effect and - if it is worth anything - LED current. Therefore increasing input voltage will not increase brightness.
You'll have to open the lights, analyze the circuit and find where the current is controlled. You may then be able to modify this part of the circuit to increase the LED curren.