Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CT recommendation for my home DIY energy monitor for 3.5Kw solar panels.

ElectricNoob0

Nov 10, 2022
(Beginner in electronics) So I am making a energy monitor with the help of an esp32. I ordered some YHDC CT sensors but as it turns out they aren't the best in the business when it comes to accuracy. Now I don't want revenue grade ones because they are stupid expensive. My only requirement is above average accuracy which helps me to get good readings for the voltage and current to get accurate Kwh consumption so I can I can predict my bills on a probable basis rather than possible.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Haven't done much with CT's, but I believe the choice of Burden resistor value can have an effect on accuracy.
There is not much to a CT, just a coil and possibly an over voltage protector (TVS?) if the output wires are disconnected.

RS Components have CT's that may be suitable.

Do you have a "smart meter" that sends your power usage wirelessly to your power company, or does it have to be manually read?

Does your power meter have a flashing LED on it indicating power usage. I have seen circuits that use a photo diode to monitor these flashes.

ElectricNoob0

Nov 10, 2022
Hi Kiwi, thanks for your reply. I am attaching these CT's to an esp32 that can send the data/readings to the AWS cloud storage through a wifi connection. And yeah sure I can hook up one more LED on the PCB.