Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Curious barcode printer problem

canactech

Jul 7, 2009
Hi. I have a problem with a Datamax M-4206 barcode printer. When the printer is working for a certain period of time the users are not able to print. Even the feed function is not working. If I closed the machine and restart it immediately while holding the PAUSE button to enter in the configuration mode nothing happens, the machine act like if the power were stayed on. But if I shut-off the printer long enough, more than 30 minutes, everything is working correctly.

Did someone have an idea because the first look doesn't shows anything wrong and I don't want to replace everything in the machine.

Thnak you very much.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
Seems like it has something to do with runtime, on for twenty and off for thirty. Something could be overheating. If the problem is consistently repeatable that should help narrow down the culprit.

marcgal

Jul 1, 2010
I don't think it's hardware related...... the problem could be that if the machine is consantly working (processing and storing information for the barcodes) the processor isn't fast enough to flush the old data..... i don't know how to put it in words but some machines can't handle too much data at the same time.

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
Makes sense, it could be some sort memory or buffer overflow that causes the printer to hang of simply stop. How old is the printer?

canactech

Jul 7, 2009
I make some checks at my office and I discover that when I used anly the FEED button I have no problem, but as soon as I printed anything the printer is blocking. I also discover that on the logic board there is a metal plate that is used to protect from radio waves, this plate become very hot. So the solution proposed by LTX71CM seems to be the best solution.
Thanks

Tesla

May 10, 2010
It could be the printer mech itself, the logic board or the power-supply. You really need another working one to swap parts with. Once you narrow it down to a specific sub-assembly ... THEN you can try fixing or replacing just the broken sub-assembly.

A good place to start is to blow it out real good. Be sure no food, liquid, staples, or screws fell onto the circuit boards. Be sure the mech moving parts are not broken, paper or labels in a gear or sensor, etc.

On most of these printers ... it can tell if the printer jams or stalls. When it does, it goes dead and locks up ... this is fairly normal.

If you have a few with various problems, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new one wholesale and "part out" the old broken one (instead of buying just individual parts).

canactech

Jul 7, 2009
I've finally been able to have a working machine so I could replace the parts and when I move the power supply to another machine the problem followed. I<ve replaced the power supply and now the printer is working fine.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Pierre