Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Current regulator.....Can anyone point me in the right direction???

amnesiac

May 15, 2019
Hello everybody. I'm trying to figure out how to do this and am not having much luck. I want to power multiple banks of LEDs with a single power supply. I need to run each branch of LEDs at 36V and 2A. My power supply has more than enough capacity to supply each branch with proper voltage and amperage. My problem is how to limit current to each branch so the LEDs don't explode. Now I've put together projects like this using Mean Well LDD DC to DC drivers which would limit current for me, however Mean Well doesn't make these same drivers at anything higher than 1500mA. Cards on the table I have very VERY limited knowledge with this stuff. I don't even know the name/terminology of what I'm looking for (current regulator was just a guess). I really just need somebody to maybe share a link to a build project that would help. I know everybody's time is valuable so I'm not asking anybody to walk me through a build. Just pointing me in the right direction would help IMMENSELY!!! Thanks :)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You're looking for (constant) current sources. You could build them using e.g. this chip, but that is probably asking too much.
You can find suitable drivers on various platforms for about $10 per piece. Look for "LED driver module", select one that can work with at least 40 V (36 V plus some headroom) and 2 A, better 3 A or more (again for some headroom).
If you go for a cheap module, use a 100 W or higher rated module to be on the safe side. Cheap modules are more often than not rated "optimistically" and will not survive for long when used at full load.

amnesiac

May 15, 2019
Thanks so much for the quick reply. That chip looks promising, but you are correct, I wouldn't know where to begin. I ran a quicky search on Mouser and DigiKey and couldn't find anything over 1500mA. I must not know what I'm looking for. If it's not asking too much could you shoot me a link to a 2A module???

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
You could always build one (or several) they are not difficult requiring about 5 components each.