Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Curtis rcd628 CD Player won’t read

Mostlynovember

Aug 27, 2020
Hi, I recently bought a curtis rcd628 CD player/radio from a thrift store. It wasn’t in a box but seems like it has been gently used if used at all. The radio works perfectly but every time I load a CD it spins for maybe 15 seconds before stopping and the LED screen displays a message that looks like Go? Whenever I hit play/pause or any other button, it won’t start playing. I opened the machine up, cleaned and greased the guide rails and cleaned the laser but it still won’t read. I got it to read a CD one time but it skipped so much it went through a 4 minute song in 30 seconds. Since then it continues to not play. any recommended fixes?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
cleaned and greased the guide rails and cleaned the laser
Skipping occurs also if the CD is not grabbed firmly by the rotating pickup. It may help to thoroughly clean the pickup that spins the disc - not the passive counterweight.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Some players have trouble reading "burnt cd's from a pc burner".

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Open the case. Locate the laser. Soak a cotton swab in contact cleaner and clean the laser lens. If you use rubbing alcohol instead of contact cleaner, repeat the process with a dry cotton swab and wait about 10 minutes as alcohol has water in it.