Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CurtisMathes TV/VCR combo - Fuzzy screen clears when smacked!

WyluliWolf

Sep 27, 2018
I have a small Curtis Mathes CRT TV/VCR combo unit. It powers up ok but the screen tends to go fuzzy at times. A few slaps on the rear/side clears it right up. My initial guess would be some sort of loose connection. I opened it up, cleared out 100 years worth of dust, and visually inspected. I also made sure all cables on the circuit board were plugged in tightly.
I know televisions carry high voltage (enough to kill you) so I want to be very careful. Does anyone have any advice on what to check first? Or should I play it safe and just use it "as is" until it dies...
View photo for make/model. Thanks.TV-Combo.JPG

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

What do you mean with fuzzy?
Is the picture out of focus?

In most color tv's there is a focus adjust.
Here is an example from the internet:

focus_adjust.jpg

You might also have a look at this page for repair tips:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/tvfaq.htm

Bertus

Last edited:

WyluliWolf

Sep 27, 2018
It's very difficult to photograph a CRT TV due to the refresh scan lines etc. I tried to capture the progression with these photos. The first picture is fine/clear. The second shows a slightly snowy/specks pic. The third captures it best. Looks like a white blizzard blowing across the screen horizontally.

IMG_3521.JPG IMG_3522.JPG IMG_3523.JPG

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

When do the distortions occur?
Is this picture taken with a picture from the VCR?

Bertus

WyluliWolf

Sep 27, 2018
Hello,

When do the distortions occur?
Is this picture taken with a picture from the VCR?

Bertus
Distortions occur at any time. It clears up if I bang on the tv. If it's bumped it will go "fuzzy" again. The photo's are with a VHS tape playing since CRT's do not pick up local TV channels.

WyluliWolf

Sep 27, 2018
It's not the VCR guys. Its the TV set. Banging on the side of a VCR isn't going to clear a picture lol. I've cleaned the heads on the VCR prior to using it. The pictures IS clear most of the time. If the TV gets bumped, it will start having issues. A sharp smack will bring it back to clarity. I'm certain it's a loose connection or possibly a faulty solder joint somewhere on the TV PCB. I figured it was a common enough issue that some folks might be able to narrow down what to look for based on experience. It looks like I may be leaving this one as is.