Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Custom Mouse and Keyboard

montka

Oct 4, 2012
Hi,

I am a first year computer science student with basic programming knowledge. I did some electornics at school.

I want to design my own custom designs of mouse and keyboard.

I am not above salvaging components and circuit boards from existing models to get a prototype done.

Do you have any advice on how to go about this project?
I would not know where to start taking apart and analysing a keyboard and mouse.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
what "custom" stuff do you want to do?

Is it a case-mod, or something a little more special?

montka

Oct 4, 2012
I think I can make a much more ergonomic design than what is on the market at the moment (unless there are better models than the ones I've seen).

All I want to improve is the shape of the mouse. The design will be about 2.5 times the size of a simple cheap mouse, but all the workings and drivers can be exactly the same.

Obviously I can only sell copies of it if all the components are original, but that is not a concern now. At present I would like to simply build and test a working prototype.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
All I want to improve is the shape of the mouse. The design will be about 2.5 times the size of a simple cheap mouse, but all the workings and drivers can be exactly the same.

Why would someone want a mouse two and a half times larger than a conventional one? Is the mouse going to have keyboard functions?

Chris

montka

Oct 4, 2012
I believe that the mouse will need to be significantly larger in order to encourage the hand, wrist and forearm to lie in a more natural, comfortable position and thus reduce stress.

Now you mention it this would leave room for keyboard functions :)

Another project, equally pressing is to design my own keyboard, which I would need to design original circuitry for. Any idea where I could acquire the expertise for doing this?

I'm thinking that a school or college would be the best place if I could find a teacher who wanted to take part.

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm thinking that a school or college would be the best place if I could find a teacher who wanted to take part.

Maybe at one time in history but today a college instructor would be the last place I'd seek originality of thought and creativity. Perhaps a night instructor with an un-cloistered daytime job would be a prospect though. Personally, I would look for someone in your own age group that possesses and equal level of p!ss and vinegar as you.

Chris