Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Custom USB OTG cable

michelschmi

Apr 1, 2016
Hey all of you!

I'm a hobby photographer and I want to connect my camera to my smartphone in order to get some extra features!
Now I know I need an USB OTG cable for this and I bought one that works. But now I bought some new gear I need a new cable to connect that features an L-bracket (I've got limited space for the cable on the camera end now). This exists, but not with the connectors I need...
I bought this here:

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/produc...-schwarz-otg-usb-kabel-2750493?tagIds=554-726

But when I connect a normal Standard A to micro B to that and plug the whole thing into my camera and phone I don't get a connection. Do both cables have to be OTG in order to retain OTG functionality? Or will connecting two OTG cables never work?
Would you have any idea how to solve this problem? Because I can't find any Standard A to micro B OTG cables...

greets from Switzerland and thanks in advance for any help!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hey all of you!

I'm a hobby photographer and I want to connect my camera to my smartphone in order to get some extra features!
Now I know I need an USB OTG cable for this and I bought one that works. But now I bought some new gear I need a new cable to connect that features an L-bracket (I've got limited space for the cable on the camera end now). This exists, but not with the connectors I need...
I bought this here:

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/produc...-schwarz-otg-usb-kabel-2750493?tagIds=554-726

But when I connect a normal Standard A to micro B to that and plug the whole thing into my camera and phone I don't get a connection. Do both cables have to be OTG in order to retain OTG functionality? Or will connecting two OTG cables never work?
Would you have any idea how to solve this problem? Because I can't find any Standard A to micro B OTG cables...

greets from Switzerland and thanks in advance for any help!
As far as I can tell, the only difference between the OTG and other cables is how the 'sense' pin is connected.
Normally it's tied to ground, but may have a resistor in series to enable charging in addition to allowing the phone to operate as a 'Host'

michelschmi

Apr 1, 2016
Hey Gryd3, thanks for your reply!
Yeah, that's also what I found out. But that doesn't answer my question why just extending my L-bracket cable with a normal USB cable won't work... :-/
Does anyone have an idea why this is and what else I could do about it? Because I've opened two USB cables just to find out that soldering the pins together won't work because in the new connectors, the pins are not accessible anymore...