Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Customizing G1 Omega Supreme toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe if I learn how to program microcontrollers I won't have to deal with soldering?
Like I mentioned above... you can try to avoid it by using a breadboard to prototype your items... but you will eventually need to know how.
This should be a skill that is just as important as knowing V=IR

Lets put it this way... you proto-type and send out a simple circuit with a microcontroller to get built for you... which still requires transistors, resistors, and other components to actually do anything useful... If it does not work, how do you determine the problem? Some troubleshooting steps require that you can use a soldering iron to remove components to do proper tests. Without this skill, there is no point building something, and no prospective employer will keep someone on staff missing such a basic fundamental skill. (As said employer would now require 2 employees to do a job instead of 1)

Now, if you have a disability, but were still able to learn a great deal about electronics, then that would be a different story. You could be an asset... but as it stands, you are incredibly green, and do not show an interest in learning without finding some shortcut to avoid learning or soldering.
If this is something you have any kind of passion for, you should do it right.

If this is less of a passion or desire, and more of a whim, go surf around for arduino kits and shields. They make all sorts of pre-made parts you can simply snap together. When you run into an issue, or want to do something unique, you will struggle. And everyone else will struggle to assist you.

Omega Supreme

Oct 9, 2014
...........finding some shortcut........
Isn't that what engineering is all about:
1. Finding ways to do things easier and simpler.
2. Isn't that why companies have lazy engineers because they're good at finding those shortcuts and the easiest, simplest solutions?
3. Soldering is a crude skill. Because I don't like doing it I could inventing some new technology, technique (eg involving lasers).

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Isn't that what engineering is all about:
1. Finding ways to do things easier and simpler.
2. Isn't that why companies have lazy engineers because they're good at finding those shortcuts and the easiest, simplest solutions?
3. Soldering is a crude skill. Because I don't like doing it I could inventing some new technology, technique (eg involving lasers).
1. Engineers find simple ways of doing things yes. They also over-engineer things occasionally which increases costs. The first and foremost goal is to accomplish their desired task. Then it can be broken down and simplified.
Shortcuts are NOT simplifications! http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/a...chargers-after-electric-shock-death-1.1313112
2. Companies have lazy engineers that cause problems, and they have smart engineers that can find solutions in a pinch.
When management can't tell the difference is when problems arise.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/deep-space-1-ds1/ said:
June 2000: Engineers develop a new way to operate the Deep Space 1 spacecraft after the potentially mission-ending failure of its star tracker. Software is radioed to the probe using the camera on board to serve as a replacement navigational tool. The operation marks one of the most successful robotic space rescues in the history of space exploration.
3. There are alternative methods such as re-flow soldering, and wave soldering. Perhaps you can build a laser version of a soldering Iron but how is that simpler? Instead of touching the iron to the board, you now have to aim at it... but the rest of the steps to remove and add components are the same...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Omega Supreme,
are you willing to learn or not ?
or are we all just wasting our time and I need to close the thread ?

personally, I am not going to waste any more of my valuable time on you

Dave

Omega Supreme

Oct 9, 2014
Don't engineers design and technicians take those designs and build them? I want to be an electrical engineer. There are technicians who can do the soldering for me.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Don't engineers design and technicians take those designs and build them? I want to be an electrical engineer. There are technicians who can do the soldering for me.

you are never going to be an electrical engineer without practical experience
Every EE that has gone through university to get his EE degree, has produced as part of his final year paper
a practical built project full of wires, circuit boards and components and LOTS of soldering

I already have enough problems in my field as an electronics tech that are caused by EE's who have no idea what they are doing
They don't seem to understand that some poor guy has to repair their stupidly designed equipment

Dave

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
-"What do you do for a living?"
-"I'm an Electrical Engineer."
-"Oh great, can you help me fix my amp? The terminal is loose."
-"No, I'm sorry but I don't know how to solder."
o_O

Omega.
You can take our advice, or you can scrap it.
The fact is that there are some basic skills and knowledge required to perform your job well.

If you want an automotive job, learn to use a wrench and screw-driver. (This is required if you do electric or mechanical)
If you want an electronics job of any kind. Learn to use the tools.
Thinking up an idea and having the technicians design it is not the role of an engineer. What you are thinking of is a management role where all you need to think of is "I want something made with 'x' that does 'y'"

Once more. If you want to avoid soldering, you could wire-wrap.
That's my last tip.
I'm sorry, but I'm done giving you tips. (I'm not really sorry, but am getting frustrated with the excuses and half-***ed questions.)

Omega Supreme

Oct 9, 2014
I recommend you go into management. You seem like you have excellent potential.
I think you might be right. I like playing with electronics more than designing and building. I'm interested in the real-world, practical applications.

Omega Supreme

Oct 9, 2014
Thinking up an idea and having the technicians design it is not the role of an engineer. What you are thinking of is a management role where all you need to think of is "I want something made with 'x' that does 'y'"
I want that job! And I want to play with my toys all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.