Maker Pro
Maker Pro

D-sub crimping+connecting practice & choice of tools

toiletmirror

Jul 11, 2017
Hi all,

I'm involved in this project in school which involves rather high expenses, and before the ordered parts arrive, I'm tasked to purchase some stuff to practise before going hands-on playing around the expensive stuff.

So sometime tomorrow or the day after, I'm planning to go down to a part of the town where they sell really cheap electronics.

I'm planning to get some experience on connecting wires into a D-sub.

After watching some videos and stuff, I figured the steps are: Strip > Pin > Crimp > Connect, right?

So what I have are just a bunch of wires, so I need to buy a wire-stripper, some pins, crimping tool and the insertion tool.

I suppose wire strippers I could just select the cheapest... However I'd like to ask if the pins, crimping tool and insertion tool: Are there any specifications I need to know? Or they're generally all-purpose? As in I would just need to buy anyone I can find?

Why I'm asking is because the area I'm gonna go to sells cheap stuff... and the vendors there are notorious for hard-selling. I'm hoping to avoid the scenario where I'm clueless and end up buying overpriced equipment.

What I need are just for basic D-sub connectors (15-pin to be exact)

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If not that high number of connectors, there is always the soldered version which requires small heat shrink to cover the pins.
A good quality D pin crimper can be expensive, but a little fast than soldering.
M.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You can also get D-sub connectors with IDC (ribbon cable) termination. These are far faster and easier to make up and with less chance of error.

This might also prove useful at the 'other end' of the cable where you don't specify the connected item/devices but could be connected to board via box-connectors perhaps?