Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Damage electronic units by cleaning front panel with water based?

magmasunburst

Mar 12, 2020
I am wondering if I damaged an electronic keyboard by cleaning it with water based cleaner. I sprayed it on a paper towel and wiped the front panel where the plastic buttons are (it's a cheap very old Yamaha/Casio type keyboard). It wasn't dripping wet. A person gave me this to sell for them but I never tested and they were insistent that I sell it for them after I refused a few times. One should never accept to sell something from someone (even friends/family) without testing it first in front of them. Even in the case of loved ones, at least if something crazy has happened to it, they know and both parties are protected. The keyboard looks like it was kept in its box (which the person gave it to me in) for about 30 years. This makes me think maybe there was some aging damaging possible that comes from non-use but just guessing.

Please answer if you can.

Last edited:

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Your guessing could be correct. I clean electronic stuff all the time the way you did. As long as you spray the towel and it's not dripping wet, there shouldn't be an issue. Possibly after 30 years, there is corrosion inside. If it's dead, I would look for a replaceable fuse either inside or on the rear panel and make sure it is clean and shiny.

magmasunburst

Mar 12, 2020
It's not dead, it plays for about 15 seconds then either shuts off or switches the sound type then shuts off.

magmasunburst

Mar 12, 2020
I have some basic electronics skills so would love to be able to fix it. I will post some photos soon.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The keyboard looks like it was kept in its box (which the person gave it to me in) for about 30 years.
After 30 years chances are that the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply are dead. Replacing these is often a remarkably simple cure for such issues.