Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Damaged Inductor. Need help and input!

Pluto2020

Sep 30, 2022
Hello All,

I need someone's expertise on this issue I'm having with an inductor that appears to be damaged. I originally found the issue when I gently tapped the inductor with a tweezer and it popped off with ease. This is not normal. As you can see in the attached pictures, the inductor looks damaged. I don’t know how this could have happened. I replaced it with another inductor and the cable worked. Now Im focused on this inductor and Im questioning whether the inductor itself could be bad or the pcba and how this could have happened (Bad soldering, electrical overstress, heat, etc?). What is it that Im seeing on that endcap of the inductor and pad? Has anyone seen this issue before? I've attached pictures and the schematic of the power supply. The inductor in the schematic is L1. Any help here would be appreciated

Inductor pad 2.PNGInductor pad 1.PNGInductor on board.PNGPower Circuit.PNG

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Suggest you get a replacement part, solder one end to the remaining good pad.
Solder a small jumper cable from the other end of the new component to the nearest good solder joint of the same trace.
Drop of epoxy on new device when satisfied all is working.
Assumption here is you are really good at soldering.:):)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Given the hundreds and often thousands of parts on a typical board it's surprising there aren't more such examples of failure! This looks to be 'unique' and not one caused by any electrical issue. If replacement restores operation you can put this down to an undetected assembly issue and forget about it.

Sh1t happens.