Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dark activated + PIR + clock timed switch?

firehousepaul

Oct 4, 2016
I want a switch for a 240V mains powered light at my front door. I want it to switch on when it is dark and either a PIR senses motion or between preset on and off clock times.
To explain more simply I want the light to be on between dusk and midnight and if someone approaches the door after midnight then I want the light to come on and to stay on for a short period (e.g. 2 minutes)
I want the PIR to be small enough not to be very noticeable - a micro PIR I guess.
I can solder but am not knowledgeable about electronics so I'd be quite happy to use a kit or something simple to follow.
Any useful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'm sure they have those movement detector light fittings where you live.
They come from China and have every aspect included for what you require for about $20.00.
Exception would be the size of the detector (micro???).
I have to wonder about why this would be a requirement as it would be more than obvious once the light comes on.
If it is to stop it being "got at" , we usually mount them out of reach.;)
The size of the pir detector is as it is because there are a series of zones in the front lens which enable the small (about 8mm dia) sensor internally to detect rather large area.

Somethings are just not possible to miniaturise and still do the same job.

firehousepaul

Oct 4, 2016
I'm sure they have those movement detector light fittings where you live.
They come from China and have every aspect included for what you require for about $20.00.
Exception would be the size of the detector (micro???).
I have to wonder about why this would be a requirement as it would be more than obvious once the light comes on.
If it is to stop it being "got at" , we usually mount them out of reach.;)
The size of the pir detector is as it is because there are a series of zones in the front lens which enable the small (about 8mm dia) sensor internally to detect rather large area.

Somethings are just not possible to miniaturise and still do the same job.

Thank you very much for your reply Bluejets. I have looked for a unit that will do what I need but have not managed to find one that does all of these things. I have searched on e-bay. Getting one with all three switch triggers seems difficult but perhaps I am not using the right search words. Any help finding one would be great so if you know a site where I'm likely to find one please let me know.
The reason I would like a miniature PIR is that I don't want this to change the appearance of the house which is 130 years old. I only need it to 'see' a small area at the doorstep.
My electrician already installed a regular half tennis ball sized PIR above the door and apart from not being triggered the way I want it to; it looks all wrong.

firehousepaul

Oct 4, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion KTW. This would do the job except I would still end up with a noticeable PIR which I really don't want
I have decided to keep things simple and discreet by using a miniature dusk to dawn sensor and omitting the timer and PIR sensor functions altogether.