Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Datahand keyboard issue.

Milk

May 28, 2010
I recently received a none working datahand keyboard model DH 200. The keyboard consists of two separate key pods, a cpu controller and a power supply.

My problem is that it doesn't power up. No lights come on and the keyboard is completely unresponsive.

The power supply is rated for 5VDC @1.5A / 12VDC @ 750mA 100/240VAC and uses a 5-din connector. It will make a faint high pitched whine when I plug it into the controller. I tried to multimeter test it and it gets a little over 6 volts. I have made sure that everything is internally connected and nothing smells or looks shorted as far as I can tell.

I have noticed that I can get the keyboard to light up if I play with the 5-din connector by partially plugging it in at an angle. It seems like the PSU is working because of its reading on the multimeter but I am not sure as I am an electronics novice.

I attached a picture of the setup hoping it would help.

Attachments

• !Bts287!EGk~$(KGrHqEOKi0EvNT29-5)BL9DhdNe6g~~_12.JPG
    !Bts287!EGk~$(KGrHqEOKi0EvNT29-5)BL9DhdNe6g~~_12.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 691

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there

googling the unit you have gave me more info than the pic ;)

it sounds like
1) the power cable/plug could have an intermittant fault .... very common within the cable, just inside or outside the molded plastic area.
2) the socket's pins are breaking away from the circuit board at the solder joints.
3) or maybe the socket is just plain faulty

all 3 would be caused by normal wear and tear use

Dave

Last edited:

DataHand User

Jun 7, 2010
DataHand DH200 Repair

Contact DataHand Systems; they do repairs. However, the DH200 is the old model not made since before 1995, and in the view of most people, it is not nearly as good a keyboard as the current model, the Professional II. Still, it may be good enough to get you started. Most committed DataHand users have more than one keyboard---sometimes just for insurance but also to keep at different locations. I would not want to go back to the flat keyboard for five minutes if I could help it. I have had the keyboard I am typing on since 1996, and it has needed to be repaired once because a component failed. It is used daily.