Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Db25 Panel Mount

Mentch

Sep 2, 2015
Trying to figure out how to panel mount a db25 connector in a thicker panel form (1/8" abs sheet), seems as though from what I am reading anything thicker than .06" is not going to allow the cable to seat correctly in the cable.

What are my options, maybe grinding down the thickness where the bolts will mount to the panel? Or using a slimmer bolt (if such thing exists)? Any help would be appreciated.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I don't really understand the question, whether mounting the DB25 on the outside, (the obvious choice) or on the inside how is the wire connection a problem?
I can see a conn mounted on the inside being a problem for the mating connector, but this goes to my first indication of mounting.
M.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm thinking you're reading about the mounting clips with thumb-screw fasteners in them.
Are you reading about the thickness of those mounting clips maybe? They have a fixed thickness for panel mounting.
They're not necessary for mounting DB connectors, but often accompany them when you buy them.
You can substitute your own mounting hardware for a thicker panel mount.
Are Minder and me barking up the wrong tree here?
Can you be more specific in your question? What are we missing?

Mentch

Sep 2, 2015
Yeah I guess I need a way to mount the connector in the panel and also still have a way to screw in the cable connection to it. So I was going to use standard screwlock 4-40 bolts, however they would be too high on the mounted connector for the cable connection to be able to use them.

Mentch

Sep 2, 2015
I think my problem is I was going to mount from the inside of the panel, but maybe mounting on the outside is a possibility just like Minder mentioned. (It just wont look as clean since the entire db25 connector will be visible.)

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
IMO it is generally 'cleaner' for a decent connector on the outside.?
As it is usually intended.
M.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Minder said:
As it is usually intended.

No, not for commercial products .... they almost always mount from the inside as shown in the link Mentch has shown

I haven't seen a connector mounted on the outside before, only from the inside, like this: http://www.vafam.com/ebay/db25/panels-populated/08A/VS-DB25-A-08PF-1.jpg

yeah that's the nice looking commercial way where you can get the holes punched/cut really neatly for the connector to poke through

for us home hackers, that don't have the facilities to produce a clean looking slot, mounting the connector on the outside hides the rough cutout ;)
it also overcomes the problems of thick walled panels that the connector has to go through

Dave

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
For thin panels I use a Greenlee DB25 punch that is basically intended for external fitting.
For thicker one's I machine the panel and still mount on the outside on my panels, saves problems with mating shells.
CCP-D25.jpg

M.

Mentch

Sep 2, 2015
I think im going to try and machine down the thickness where the bolt will go, I would rather have it mounted from the inside so it looks cleaner. Will try and post pics of my process and the project that im working on as soon as I attempt it.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Your choice , I see nothing wrong with the mount in #9?
M.

Mentch

Sep 2, 2015
Ok, ended up just mounting from the outside, tried several things to get a clean hole and nothing worked. Ended up drilling small holes with the drill and then cleaning them up with the dremel and a router bit, and then doing some filing to finalize the hole. Turned out pretty well. Oh and the project is for a fireworks launcher to be used on the July 4th next year.
fireworks_launcher_v2.jpg

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Where's the two person, two keys system depicted in all those old nuke launch movies? :D

Just kidding. Really nice work! :cool:

Chris

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Ok, ended up just mounting from the outside, tried several things to get a clean hole and nothing worked.
Nice job.
Also 1/8" panel is about the maximum you can go when mounting on the inside before you lose integrity of the contact.
M.

TedA

Sep 26, 2011
You can mount the connector shell on a subplate, then mount the subplate to your main panel. The opening in the panel must be large enough to clear the mating connector's backshell, or hood.

A single subplate might carry several connectors.

It helps if you have some means of making odd shaped holes.

Ted

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
You can mount the connector shell on a subplate, then mount the subplate to your main panel.
Ted
Good point Ted but you're a bit late to the party. The panel is now finished, photos posted and we're now at the glowing admiration ("Ooo, Ahh, Nice Work!") stage of this topic. :rolleyes:

Chris

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Late, but... for 0.090" panels we sometimes use shorter jackscrews. But for 0.125 we usually machine the inside of the panel with a recessed area the size of the entire connector face. With the machined area down to 0.060, the connector fits normally and the outside face is flat and clean.

But mounting the connector on the outside face is more common than you might think, and your assembly looks very professional.

ak