Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC & Buzzer

Muhasaresa

Jan 2, 2012
Hi everyone :D

Please can someone help me with these two questions?

1. Why does a buzzer sound when a steady DC from a battery goes through (so just one battery, wires and a buzzer)? Why does the metal diaphragm vibrate when the voltage is steady?

2. Would an electrolytic capacitor get damaged if AC was passing through it.

Thanks for the help :)

Muhasaresa

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
1. Have you ever examined how a buzzer is constructed? If your buzzer is covered, have you torn it apart to see what is there? Everyone should do that at least once. Inside you should see an electromagnet coil and switch contacts. Draw a schematic of the whole thing and tell us how you think it works.

2. When an electrolytic capacitor is used to pass AC it is usually the case that the AC is superimposed on a larger DC voltage so the capacitor sees the AC as just just higher and lower values of DC voltage. But this is where the capacitor equivalent series resistance ESR becomes important since the AC component of the DC voltage results in an AC current flowing through the ESR generating heat. Too much heat will destroy the capacitor.

Muhasaresa

Jan 2, 2012
Thanks! When I get another buzzer I will tear it apart :) Piezo buzzers look very clever.

Best Wishes,

Muhasaresa