Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Woo-Woo DC circuit for electrolysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgewalker

Feb 18, 2020
I want to design a circuit with using a power adapter out-putting 12V 2 amp that feeds two (silver) electrodes into distilled water to produce colloidal silver.
Attached is my attempt at the output circuit. I want to be able to reverse the polarity in the electrodes to prevent corrosion, thus the two LEDs to show when each electrode is positive.
I would like to use the programmable DPDT module to supply switchable polarity as shown in the attached image.
Am I on a productive path?
Do you see any issues with the resistor values?Output Circuit Mk1.jpg DPDT Relay.jpg

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
The first issue I see with those resistor values, at 12V, is that your max current is going to be 2.667 mA, before you factor in whatever tiny current loss is incurred by the diodes. Curious how you arrived at 455 mA?

georgewalker

Feb 18, 2020
The first issue I see with those resistor values, at 12V, is that your max current is going to be 2.667 mA, before you factor in whatever tiny current loss is incurred by the diodes. Curious how you arrived at 455 mA?
The 445mA was the result of the program Solve Elec.445mA.jpg

georgewalker

Feb 18, 2020
Many people make Colloidal Silver with 3 x 9V batteries connected in series and attached to silver electrodes. I'm trying to make something better. I have read that a longer processing time results in smaller sub-nano silver particles so I adjusted the value of R3 to achieve 445mA between the electrodes.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The 445mA was the result of the program Solve Elec.
The error is with the power source I1 in your simulation. This is, unfortunately, a common mistake: a 12 V, 2 A power source is (usually) a voltage source that delivers 12 V and is capable of driving up to 2 A. This does not mean it will drive 2 A regardless of the load.
Compare this to your household mains. This i stypically 110 V or 230 V (depending on where you live). You have a mains fuse rated e.g. 16A. So your mains is rated e.g. 110 V, 16 A. This doesn't mean an appliance you plug into mains will draw 16 A. It udualy draws much less. How much can be taken from the power rating P in Watts: I = P/V.

What you did: You inserted a 2 A constant current source which will drive 2A through the circuit. Subtracting the current through the active LED, this makes for 445 mA output current - and 1.555 A LED current!. The voltage across the power source's terminals will be significantly higher than 12 V.

What you should do: Insert a 12 V voltaeg source instead of the current source I1. For an output current of 445 mA the resistor is R3 = 12 V / 445 mA = 27 Ω. But: You'll have to take into account the resistance of the solution which is > 0 Ω. Therefore the real current will be lower than 445 mA unless you adjust R3 to a smaller value (you'll have to experiment here as the resistance of the solutikon depends on the distance between the electrodes and the conductivity of the solution.

georgewalker

Feb 18, 2020
The error is with the power source I1 in your simulation. This is, unfortunately, a common mistake: a 12 V, 2 A power source is (usually) a voltage source that delivers 12 V and is capable of driving up to 2 A. This does not mean it will drive 2 A regardless of the load.
Compare this to your household mains. This i stypically 110 V or 230 V (depending on where you live). You have a mains fuse rated e.g. 16A. So your mains is rated e.g. 110 V, 16 A. This doesn't mean an appliance you plug into mains will draw 16 A. It udualy draws much less. How much can be taken from the power rating P in Watts: I = P/V.

What you did: You inserted a 2 A constant current source which will drive 2A through the circuit. Subtracting the current through the active LED, this makes for 445 mA output current - and 1.555 A LED current!. The voltage across the power source's terminals will be significantly higher than 12 V.

What you should do: Insert a 12 V voltaeg source instead of the current source I1. For an output current of 445 mA the resistor is R3 = 12 V / 445 mA = 27 Ω. But: You'll have to take into account the resistance of the solution which is > 0 Ω. Therefore the real current will be lower than 445 mA unless you adjust R3 to a smaller value (you'll have to experiment here as the resistance of the solutikon depends on the distance between the electrodes and the conductivity of the solution.
Thank you for your very detailed reply indicating where I went wrong. I changed the power source and adjusted the R3 resistor to 27 Ohm as suggested445mA=2.jpg .

georgewalker

Feb 18, 2020
Here is the programmable controller connections to supply power to E1 in the circuit above.DPDT Connection.jpg

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Your final circuit looks okay. Does momentarily pressing the switch connected to IN1 cause the relay to actuate (reversing the polarity of the output) and the timer to reset and start again?

My wife and I get our supply of colloidal silver from silver-plated flatware obtained from estate sales. Rich dead people's silverware. There are a lot more of them here in Florida than there were in Ohio! Using this every day instead of stainless steel flatware has greatly improved our health over the past twenty years or so. And no electricity required! As you are probably aware, minute amounts of colloidal silver are death to micro-organisms that cause disease and other bodily malfunctions. Now if only we can learn to avoid using aluminum pots and pans and stick with cast iron... my wife might avoid Alzheimers, although it's too late for me... head ct-scan x-rays a year or so ago revealed foreign growths on my hippocampus. Looks like I am destined to forget who I am and where I came from. Along with heart disease, a slow-growing thyroid cancer, and an elevated BPA, it looks like I won't live forever after all.

Oh, wait a minute! Are you gonna SELL your colloidal silver water? Have you thought of branching out into other highly diluted homeopathic solutions? Lots of recipes available online for that! All sorts of remedies foreign to normal medical science, ranging from tinnitus to cancer potions claiming to help whatever ails you. Just make sure you don't make ANY claims that could be construed by a Philadelphia lawyer as curing or preventing disease, lest some three-letter agency come after you.

georgewalker

Feb 18, 2020
Thank you for your comments on the circuit. The programmable DPDT module allows for the switch to be tripped after X number of minutes or seconds and for that to be cycled for a Y number of times. It can be initiated at power on or alternatively by pressing N1. I will conduct some tests to determine an optimal processing duration using 1 litre of distilled water, 14 gauge 999 Silver wire and 30ml of 'starter' colloidal silver solution.
I also make lipsomal vitamin C and my wife an I consume 6000mg - 12000mg every day for general health. Have you looked into the 'brain protective' benefits of eating 1 tablespoon full of Virgin Coconut oil every day?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Have you looked into the 'brain protective' benefits of eating 1 tablespoon full of Virgin Coconut oil every day?
I don't recall reading about any brain protective benefits, but coconut oil is the ONLY vegetable oil we try to consume. Other oils for food consumption we try to avoid. We buy large "tubs" of coconut oil, which is a solid at normal room temperatures but readily melts at body temperature, and use this for cooking and baking. I just made a Pillsbury Chocolate Devil's Food cake for my wife's birthday and the box said to add three eggs, a half-cup of vegetable oil, and one cup of water.

The boxed cake mix manufacturers could have included the oil and dehydrated eggs in the box, along with the plethora of other ingredients deemed necessary for optimal shelf life, but quite some time ago (in the 1950s perhaps) their marketing people found that American homemakers needed to "add something" to boxed cake mixes so they would feel like they were really making a cake or they wouldn't purchase the boxed cake mixes. The practice continues to this day for lots of things besides cake mixes.

I haven't made a cake "from scratch" since my mother taught me how to do that as a kid, sometime around 1950 in Louisiana IIRC. Wife wants me to take up the practice again, now that I am "retired" and have more time to devote to such things. I might do that. The ingredients on boxed cake mixes are downright scary. Same-o, same-o with biscuits. Easy to make from scratch, but sooo much more convenient to just pop open a small can of five of them. Just avoid reading what's in them and slather on some real unsalted Irish Kerrygold butter and real (no high-fructose corn-syrup) French Bonne Mamain orange marmalade.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thread closed and moved to our special section

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.