Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC to AC 50/60Hz Same Voltage IN/OUT

gremlin66

Nov 27, 2013
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have not super electonic knowledge (just little and simple).

I have a DC Source (from Solar panels) around 250 Volt DC
and want to convert it to same voltage but AC at around 55Hz (50/60)

the simplest way for me it wold be to build a squere wave generator may be with a 555 and power it with a small power source (12Volt) and connect the output to a relay DPDT and then simply use the DPDT to reverse the polarity of the 250V DC having an output of 250V AC . But I think there is be a better way (relay have long responce time) probably using Mosfet ?

The general idea is to have a DC input souce at any voltage and an output at same peek to peek voltage but AC (squere is ok ..) (Simple as possible and cheep).
If the sun is low the voltage will be less I know, .. no problem... I won't have a stable voltage .. no problem... (but I will have a stable frequency).
I do not want to use batterys for this project otherwise I would have used a normal inverter....

I appriciate any ideas, and hope do be of help in futer.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Even if you can find a relay which will work at 50Hz, it will not last long.

An H bridge using fets can do the polarity change over.

A push-pull circuit driving a transformer (heavy) can be made with two fets. The CMOS 4047 has an oscillator and will drive the two fets but there are other, more sophisticated, drivers available.

gremlin66

Nov 27, 2013
Thank you duke37
you are totally right .. the relay won't last long at 50hz

I think I will follow your suggestion, will look into "H bridge using fets" and try to make a circuit. Thanks