Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Decode TV's USB RF Remote Control Signal

tridy

Aug 29, 2017
Hello.

I have a TV that has a remote control that uses a small (similar to a wireless mouse dongle) USB RF dongle to communicate on RF 2.4GHz. There is no IR.

When I try to plug in this usb dongle into a computer, it says that device malfunctioned and I cannot figure out any details about the dongle. It looks like only TV can understand this dongle.

My goal is to be able to send signal (simulate remote control signal) from another computer to control this screen or manipulate TV's USB directly.

option 1 - sniff RF signal, record it and then send with Arduino or Raspberry Pi or something similar.

The remote has Beken BK2535 DH650QS chip:

http://www.bekencorp.com/en/Botong.Asp?Parent_id=2&Class_id=8&Id=90

I tried to use HackRF and find the frequency. I could confirm that it runs on 2.4Ghz (around 2 405 900)

I have also ordered (it hasn't arrived yet) NRF24L01+ from eBay thinking I could use it to achieve the result.​

option 2 - hack between TV and dongle

Measure the signal that the dongle is working with on USB pins, by having a osciloscope in between, trying to see what signal gets sent from dongle when a button gets pressed. Then use Arduino to send those signals to USB directly.

Is there anything that I misunderstand or have missed. Any other suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks a lot!