Maker Pro
Maker Pro

'Deliberate' lifespan of modem/routers?

Jbrt

Feb 16, 2018
I hope these are not too silly questions but are modem/routers made to last for a short lifespan; and what electronic component goes first on them? Does leaving a modem/router permanently on shorten its lifespan?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.
This is an issue not limited to modems/routers but widely discussed in general. Manufacturers will deny it, but often it looks like it's been done. See "planned obsolescense".

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
A lot of today's electronic gizmos are squeezed into small housings and components inside can get rather warm. Electrolytic capacitors are the prime candidate for failure and have rated lifetimes typically of just a few thousand hours. Elevated temperatures shorten their actual working life.

Last edited:

Jbrt

Feb 16, 2018
A lot of today's electronic gizmos are squeezed small housings and components inside can get rather warm. Electrolytic capacitors are the prime candidate for failure and have rated lifetimes typically of just a few thousand hours. Elevated temperatures shorten their actual working life.
Thank you, Alec. So it is best to switch off the router after the day's use.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I find the lifespan issue particularly affects passively cooled consumer grade networking gear, modems, switches and routers. Modems I have the best luck with, though I usually buy Motorola/Arris which tend to be about the best consumer grade build you can get.

Routers and switches on the other hand, tend to first blow the electrolytic capacitors in the switch, then eventually the output electrolytic in the wall AC/DC adapter, or in some cases if you don't surge protect everything including all network gear and the client systems, a power surge will take out one port at a time.

These days, low port count (8 or fewer), consumer grade gigabit switches are fairly inexpensive so I just run them 24/7 as-is, but routers I also run 24/7 but do a bit more... voiding the warranty in the process.

1) Replace all electrolytic capacitors in the router with solid/polymer types. I do not wait until a failure to do this. I do it before first deployed and have never had a single solid cap fail, which it used to be fairly routine that the electrolytic caps would fail after roughly 5 years of 24/7 service.

2) Vent holes. Pop the casing off, lay down some masking tape on it, use a ruler to draw a grid where you want to put vent holes. Throw the casing on a drill press to make evenly spaced, true holes. chamfer the holes on both sides to get rid of plastic remnants.

In some cases it can make for an interesting visual effect of the front indicator LED light coming out the top.

Attachments

• m20.jpg
    m20.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Ian

Jbrt

Feb 16, 2018
I find the lifespan issue particularly affects passively cooled consumer grade networking gear, modems, switches and routers. Modems I have the best luck with, though I usually buy Motorola/Arris which tend to be about the best consumer grade build you can get.

Routers and switches on the other hand, tend to first blow the electrolytic capacitors in the switch, then eventually the output electrolytic in the wall AC/DC adapter, or in some cases if you don't surge protect everything including all network gear and the client systems, a power surge will take out one port at a time.

These days, low port count (8 or fewer), consumer grade gigabit switches are fairly inexpensive so I just run them 24/7 as-is, but routers I also run 24/7 but do a bit more... voiding the warranty in the process.

1) Replace all electrolytic capacitors in the router with solid/polymer types. I do not wait until a failure to do this. I do it before first deployed and have never had a single solid cap fail, which it used to be fairly routine that the electrolytic caps would fail after roughly 5 years of 24/7 service.

2) Vent holes. Pop the casing off, lay down some masking tape on it, use a ruler to draw a grid where you want to put vent holes. Throw the casing on a drill press to make evenly spaced, true holes. chamfer the holes on both sides to get rid of plastic remnants.

In some cases it can make for an interesting visual effect of the front indicator LED light coming out the top.
Hi Dave, I really appreciate your and others input. I wish I was an electronic boffin:-(

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I recently repaired my own router (Netgear) that had two duff capacitors in it. It had been running 24/7 for over 4 years!

Planned obsolescence can be either ending support, changes in technology (improvements) or by cost-cutting measures resulting in lower quality components being used.

Whether or not this is 'deliberate' is debatable but if you want the best/fastest etc you're inevitably stuck with the upgrade process which itself wouldn't happen without consumer purchases.

Last edited: