Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dell 2001FP LCD shuts off after 1 sec

jaytorr

Dec 4, 2010
Hello,

I took the monitor apart to see if I could spot a blown capacitor but they look to be in decent shape. What's the most likely source of the problem? I can replace the inverter card for about $30 if that's very likely to be the problem but would like to know before buying one.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

jaytorr

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The inverter card is only likely to be an issue if it is the backlight that is going off, and where you can still see the screen contents if you look very carefully (a torch may help).

Does the power LED remain turned on? Or does it turn off too?

jaytorr

Dec 4, 2010
I put the monitor back together to check if the power LED turned off. To my surprise, it's working now! I didn't really do anything besides take it apart, maybe there was a loose connection somewhere?

I think the power LED turned off when I had the problem. Do you think it was a thermal shut-off of some sort? I'll continue to monitor it to make sure the problem doesn't recur.

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I doubt it was a thermal shutdown.

It may have been a small piece of wire, or something conductive that was rattling around inside and got wedged somewhere it caused problems. And you may have removed it or moved it.

Or, yes, it could have been a loose connection.