Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dell adapter down!

bmdiyh

Mar 30, 2016
Hello everyone

I bought a dell laptop and yesteryear when I was moving everything around I put the adapter on my phone and the power went out, the adapter had short circuited. Anyway I found out which part gave out. This black little thing with writing on it. Can someone please tell me what it is and hire to fix my adapter? Thanks!1459356314645-2083457411.jpg

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I'm with Duke on that. It looks like a Fuse based on the supplied numbers.
Those things only go when there is a higher than expected current draw though.
This is caused by a spike in voltage, or sudden draw of the component... perhaps it was a brown-out and the adaptor still attempted to operate by pulling more current? Please keep in mind that swapping the fuse may not resolve the problem if the surge/power outage caused any harm to components further inside the unit.
It may be less expensive for you to buy a universal or replacement adaptor for it than to pay a technician to repair it if it happens to be more than the fuse

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir bmdiyh . . . . . . .

(Boy . . . sure looks like you need to buy some more vowels for your name . . . . y en Espanol tambien. )

That looks to be a knock off of a 3.15A --250V Belfuse . . .chemical fuse . . .which purposefully has a slow blowing action.
With it having blown . . .that would NOT be in line with a fast AC line transients cause . . . but by the presence of a sustained overloading upon it.
They are purposefully slow responding, in the respect of their construction, which consists of a fusing wire wrapped around a small fireproof
fiberglass core and an overlaying coating of a pyrotechnic flashing chemical covering.
When it activates it really "hisses" . . . if you have ever been near to one . . . at its activation.

The logical test manner is to take 2 clip lead terminated test wires (# # #) and clip across the blades of the AC male plug of a table lamp
with a 100 watt incandescent bulb installed.

(# # #)
Crocodile-Clip-Wire-Alligator-Clip-Test-Leads-50cm-5-Colours-Jumper-Cable-Wires-pack-of-10.jpg

(Initially test the lamp alone . . . to confirm that the switch is left in its turned on position.)
Then the two idle clip leads of the test leads get clipped across the now defunct fuses bottom terminals.

Basically you now have a light bulb jumping across the blown fuse . . . .so we can see WHAT is going to happen on an initial power up . . . . .INSTEAD OF . . . .
a haphazard plugging in of the unit with a new fuse installed and . . . . . . . . FIREWORKS and THUNDER anyone ?

When the DELL power adapter is plugged in and turned on, either the lamp is going to initially light up a bit, and then have its brightness decline.

OR

The lamp is going to come on bright and stay bright.

If the latter is your situation, your power adapter has damaged components that will have to be isolated by troubleshooting and then your replacing them.

If you had the first situation above , your unit seems to have not sustained damage and you might just initially replace that fuse with an
easier to find, conventional 3 A fast acting fuse.
Then, if a shakedown cruise reveals all to be normal, you can replace with a 3 A slow blow fuse, or track down another one of that special leaded Belfuse # 3100-1
unit at SMC Electronics.

Thassssit . . . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited: