Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dented oven

Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new oven which was to have only a minor scratch on the handle. It's a Ariston OS99, which normally retails for NZ$2770, but I got it for NZ$995, because of the cosmetic flaw. But when I got it there was also a dent on the side of it. What I want to know is, could there be a issue with, i.e. insulation being squashed? Peaking through the holes in the outer casing, there doesn't seem to be electronic bits in that area, just insulation. I don't want to burn my house down because of improper insulation (it's one of those pyrolytic self-cleaning ovens that cleans at 500 degrees Celsius.

Regards.
Amanda

P

Phil Hobbs

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new oven which was to have only a minor scratch on the handle. It's a Ariston OS99, which normally retails for NZ$2770, but I got it for NZ$995, because of the cosmetic flaw. But when I got it there was also a dent on the side of it. What I want to know is, could there be a issue with, i.e. insulation being squashed? Peaking through the holes in the outer casing, there doesn't seem to be electronic bits in that area, just insulation. I don't want to burn my house down because of improper insulation (it's one of those pyrolytic self-cleaning ovens that cleans at 500 degrees Celsius.

Regards.
Amanda

This isn't really a sci.electronics.design question, so I've
cross-posted to sci.electronics.repair and set followups there. If it
isn't on-topic over there, they'll be able to help, anyway.

How big is the dent?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new oven which was to have only a minor scratch on the handle. It's a Ariston OS99, which normally retails for NZ$2770, but Igot it for NZ$995, because of the cosmetic flaw. But when I got it there was also a dent on the side of it. What I want to know is, could there be a issue with, i.e. insulation being squashed? Peaking through the holes inthe outer casing, there doesn't seem to be electronic bits in that area, just insulation. I don't want to burn my house down because of improper insulation (it's one of those pyrolytic self-cleaning ovens that cleans at 500degrees Celsius.

Regards.

Amanda

Thanks Phil. And sorry, I'm new to this side of the groups.
The dent is about 3/4 inch deep and about a quarter of the size of the sideof the oven. I'll try to post a picture to the other group.

J

Jasen Betts

Jan 1, 1970
But when I got it there was also a dent on the side of it. What I
want to know is, could there be a issue with, i.e. insulation being
squashed? Peaking through the holes in the outer casing, there
doesn't seem to be electronic bits in that area, just insulation. I
don't want to burn my house down because of improper insulation (it's
one of those pyrolytic self-cleaning ovens that cleans at 500 degrees
Celsius.

Assuming it's fibre insulation and will recover if the dent is fixed
call one of those "paintless dent repair" services.

Their equipment is portable, so they can come to you.

N

Neon John

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new oven which was to have only a minor scratch on the handle. It's a Ariston OS99, which normally retails for NZ$2770, but I got it for NZ$995, because of the cosmetic flaw. But when I got it there was also a dent on the side of it.

Why don't you drop by your friendly local body shop and have them work
the dent out? They specialized (at least some do) in getting out
dents like that. Several techniques - heat gun and ice, working with
a ball-ended tool from behind, induction heating, etc - can be used. I
wouldn't think it would cost over $50.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address