Maker Pro
Maker Pro

design of short circuit indicator using neon for domestic distribution board

amad12

Jun 29, 2019
Hi anybody can give idea for permanent short circuit indicator for domestic applications?
Normally overcurrent relays trip and give indication on instantaneous value and dont have idea about actual currrent status of status of system.
Regards

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You will need to be more specific on your application.

As a general note, circuit breakers will have an inbuilt (mechanical) indicator.
Safety switch/ circuit breaker combination units also have indication to differentiate between overload trip and earth leakage trip.

Aside from that, playing with mains voltage protection devices can lead you to a room with a view of the outside through steel bars.

amad12

Jun 29, 2019
You will need to be more specific on your application.

As a general note, circuit breakers will have an inbuilt (mechanical) indicator.
Safety switch/ circuit breaker combination units also have indication to differentiate between overload trip and earth leakage trip.

Aside from that, playing with mains voltage protection devices can lead you to a room with a view of the outside through steel bars.
Sir thanks for your response...of course we have to take in account relevant safety considerations...but how to proceed using analog electronics?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I think @Bluejets was asking for more specific information like:
1. What do you mean by permanent?
2. Built into the consumer unit?
3. A device for plugging into domestic outlets?
4. Testing for short circuit of what?
5. Live and neutral reversed?
6. Live and earth fault?
etc etc etc
Be more specific

EDIT: A side note, short circuits usually announce themselves by going BANG or tripping breakers.....
Martin

Last edited:

amad12

Jun 29, 2019
I think @Bluejets was asking for more specific information like:
1. What do you mean by permanent?
2. Built into the consumer unit?
3. A device for plugging into domestic outlets?
4. Testing for short circuit of what?
5. Live and neutral reversed?
6. Live and earth fault?
etc etc etc
Be more specific

EDIT: A side note, short circuits usually announce themselves by going BANG or tripping breakers.....
Martin
Sir thankyou very much for your valuable response
1) By permanent ,means continuously existing ins system(means live wire fell on bare neutral inside wiring ) compared to overlaod tripping etc
2)Yes i want to install it inside Distribution board of home
3) Yes if it is it would be more appealing
4) short circuit downsteam
5) doesnt effect here
6) if it can accomodate ,will be fine

Refering to your last note,breaker can also trip due to overcurrent/overload of motor etc or even it can trip due to fault inside breaker.so how could we know that trip is due to shortcircuit or fault in breaker before switching back it on to restore supply?
Regards
Regards

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Refering to your last note,breaker can also trip due to overcurrent/overload of motor etc or even it can trip due to fault inside breaker.so how could we know that trip is due to shortcircuit or fault in breaker before switching back it on to restore supply?
That is where a qualified electrician or good electrical experience comes into play.
But the breaker has done it's job!.
It would simply be a matter of investigation and/or a process of elimination. By first disconnecting the load and tying the breaker again.

1) By permanent ,means continuously existing ins system(means live wire fell on bare neutral inside wiring ) compared to overlaod tripping etc
You wont need an indicator, you will hear it a mile away! And nothing in the house will work. Possibly burning down your house too. Hopefully you have a service fuse on the electric suppliers side? usually located near the meter.

I don't think we can help you with this. If a live wire falls on a bare neutral wire, no amount of indicators will help!. A large fuse 'should' blow. This fuse is the property of the electric company.

Please hire a qualified electrician.

Martin

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Your description of what you want is a bit vague, but I will try to fill it out with my guess.

I think what you are saying is that, after a breaker trips, you would like a circuit that comes after the breaker, monitoring the resistance of the load and indicating whether the fault condition still exists. Is that correct?

Bob