Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Designer for DSP circuit...

mech3d

Sep 12, 2012
I am looking for someone to design an circuit based on a desired functionallity (A to D and then D to A). This would include parts selection, schematic capture, board layout, prototype and test. Need NDA in place before giving details. Thanks Mech3D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I presume you have a good budget for this?

We need a sticky for "how much will this cost?"

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
We need a sticky for "how much will this cost?"

Yeah, no kidding...

To the OP, you can almost certainly give out more details without a NDA in place, not that I'm opposed to signing one but a few more details would help narrow down if it's something I or another would be interested in pursuing further without wasting our time... And 'professional' help will not come cheap and might very well hit you real hard with sticker shock...

Can you give some more details in regards to application? Anything that would narrow down the application and implementation would be helpful... A->D and back is easy in many applications and extremely more complicated in others...

mech3d

Sep 12, 2012
Thanks for the reply...

Yes we have budget for this how much it will cost depends on how many hours and the rate, but if it is quoted at $100K or so, then that is way too much. Can it be done for less than that, well that is what we are hoping for or am I missing something.

Basically input a guitar signal and modify the signal by clipping or other means and output the modified signal to the amp.

So the circuit will emulate 5 classic effects pedals such as the Big Muff, Fuzz Face etc. allow the user to change the volume, tone and amount of effects. All controls are membrane tactile switches, has a rechargeable lith-ion battery, a bunch of LEDS, save/recall user modified effects and depending on cost the ability to interface with a PC to download different patches.

I have all the mechanically design completed but missing the CCA, obviously. I hope this helps explain a little better.

Thank You,
Joe

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Designing the circuit isn't all that hard, I believe Analog Devices has some over the counter developer boards that are pretty much a complete real time DSP that can do this right off the shelf once you write the firmware and effects... You can develop on there and simply port the circuit to your own design... Creating the effects is going to be the time consuming part, there are so many ways to emulate it and all the fine tuning to get that 'perfect' sound could rack up hours upon hours...

At this time it's way too involved for me to tackle, and honestly you might want to locate someone local so that you can sit down and have multiple face to face meetings where you run through tweaking the effects in a studio environment...

If you plan to take this from design from idea to finalized 'prototype' level meaning something that isn't just an over the counter project box, but a box and finalized circuit of your own design you can expect to burn through a big portion of that $100K... And more if you pursue certifications and the sorts that are needed to openly market the product in most places beyond the 'hobbyist' level of sales... UL, CE and FCC compliance can easily cost $10s of thousands if you don't do it in house, and have to pay a third party to do all the testing...