Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Desparately seeking off button

Status
Not open for further replies.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell computer. Every time I call up a virtual volume control and change its setting, and release my grip on the emulated slide switch by lifting left click finger, there is an audio report played at the new volume level. I'll estimate that I have spent 30 to 40 minutes in search of the check-box that holds my sanity's salvation. The very thot that there may not be a high level binary check-box solution to this hideous assault upon my personal bio-audio input system, leads me to contemplate the difficulty of sifting thru the OS's software to find the one bit I need to flip to end this heinous crime against humanity. Please help me locate the off button which controls the " New volume level audio report" function. Or if need be, locate the geek with sufficient knowledge to guide me to the location in the assembly language that may contain the instruction to annoy me to a state of instability.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Rather dramatic :eek:.......Check your sounds, sounds in control panel.
Many jury verdicts have been swayed by emotion."Say it with conviction, and they will come." If I do not purchase an EV by Saturday,
I will be held solely responsible for the complete melt down of all polar ice which will change Earth's gravitational field resulting in an increased rate of fall of the moon causing an earlier than expected collision of Earth and moon, ending life as we know it.

Last edited:

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Rather dramatic :eek:.......Check your sounds, sounds in control panel.
I am making an effort to utilize my little Dell as a recording device for sounds from my 12 string acoustic guitar. A present, this effort seems to be a logical quest. I have the computer on hand, it has Voice Recorder app, Windows Media Player and a couple other related apps. As is, the only real editing it provides is trimming and a little roundabout freq equaling. There are 18 sampling rates available. Currently using 2 channel 16 bit 44100 Hz. Studio quality and high end editing are not paramount right now. What I have used for recording and sharing prior is recording on [imath]120 fuji film 20 M pix digital camera. Mostly adequate for my purposes. I record the tune, upload to Dell, trim if required, change file type if advantageous, Sound quality is considerably below that of a quality FM receiver. Generally not a problem. To record directly to computer, a microphone is my proffered device. I have tried 3 styles of "snap on" guitar pick ups. All were disappointing. Signal out was flat, lifeless, unequal as far as freq response. I have been looking for an sufficient quality mic for a couple years. There is a decent selection of off-the-shelf mics for[/imath]100 to [imath]1200 but don't meet my po boy status. I've tried karioke mics, walkie talkie and telephone mics, earbuds in backwards config, other output devices, etc. Needed near[/imath]0 price tag. Found mic / earbud headset at $1.25 Tree. Works well. I have a 60 watt Pyle guitar amp. Only perks are gain, bass, mid, and high tone, and a time / distance reverb sort of thing. Anyway that I manipulated signal from add on pick ups, the sound just would not come alive. I'm amazed at the sound that this cheaply constructed mic earbud "headset" puts out. So, super simple to record 2 channel sound and play back. But if I want to lay down accompaniment trace, I get puckered orifice disorder. Recording from any player app back to computer can be done in simple order by direct headphone out to mic in. The main volume out level generally = a 3 to 5 setting. That's using a 100 point volume scale. The rerecorded music is sufficient for my needs, currently. To accompany an existing track, I need to hear that track. A 3-5 output level doesn't even excite an earbud. I gotta run for a while but will continue late

Last edited by a moderator:

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
So anyway, to combine one channel with another channel I have a couple options available. I can make a switch box that will isolate the dynamic signal ( the new music being played to be say track 2 of the recording ). This isolation is needed if I use cable splitters. This method has attenuation problems if dynamic signal is trying to ride piggyback on recorded signal. This configuration pulls another leg off prerecorded signal, is run thru independent amp and amplified to a hearable level. This splitting takes a lot of signal amplitude leveling. Every time I change master volume level, I get an audible notification. Sounds like a xylophone emulation. Often startles me. Another method I will be trying is to split prerecorded portion, sending only to front input and to independent amp. The new signal data will be sent to the back panel jack on only one side of 2 channel panel jack. Hoping much larder larger signal will have lesser affect on prerecorded signal. But back to the quest to turn off volume change notification xylophone sound. I have been through all sound panel windows to no avail. That doesn't mean that it is not there. I may have not recognized its label. Nonetheless, I am forced to bear an unpleasant, unneeded, annoying sound many, many times for no good reason.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I was recently looking for a way to stop Win10 notifying me with several annoying notifications. It appears you can but the caveat is, all notifications are turned off!. There are registry changes that may work but this also turned off all notifications for me. Not a good place to ‘play’.
I’ve gone back to my XP and win7 laptops. I only use them for music related play (database and disco) and not internet, so security isn’t a problem for me.
I think you’ll find a solution in the registry with hours of internet searching. I gave up as it wasn’t that important to me.

Martin

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I was recently looking for a way to stop Win10 notifying me with several annoying notifications. It appears you can but the caveat is, all notifications are turned off!. There are registry changes that may work but this also turned off all notifications for me. Not a good place to ‘play’.
I’ve gone back to my XP and win7 laptops. I only use them for music related play (database and disco) and not internet, so security isn’t a problem for me.
I think you’ll find a solution in the registry with hours of internet searching. I gave up as it wasn’t that important to me.

Martin
The ability to negate the notification sound notifying me that the master volume level has just been changed isn't of first priority in this particular project. For at least 2 yrs I have been searching for a method to record tunes played on my acoustic guitar that would exhibit a fullness or richness in sound quality. I will refer to the quality as moderate. Currently, no immediate need for high end studio quality recording capability. And there are reasonably priced intermediate quality recording units which may be the route I will take. I do not foresee recording even 10s of hours of musical pieces and consider spending anything over $100 to be a bit exorbitant. Examples of what I need recordings for are sending a section of a tune to a collaborator resulting in a finished, completed rendition of a tune. I have previously rented time at music stores to record music for copyright applications and demos for entry into local low key competitions. That was a few years back. Prices were reasonable. If I had equipment to record and edit at home, I believe I could produce better recordings simply because it is my tendency to except first takes just to keep costs low. I am mostly satisfied with the playback quality of what I have discovered I can do with my bare bones middle aged Dell. But now I would like to add a second or third track to an initial track and that is proving to be problematic. Having a simplistic editor would also be nice. I think perusing used equipment ads may be a better use of my time then trying to install work around program routines.I think I have seen free recording apps on the net for the very reason of collaboration. I think searching out those apps will be my next move.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
This is an audio sample of my $1.25 microphone. I am uncertain if EP can play an audio file but I'll upload one anyway. Please forgive the multiple errors as I struggle up the learning curve. Depending upon what media app this short is played on, there is a wide spectrum of apparent quality. Oops. It appears EP uploader is file type sensitive and reluctant to even list non-acceptable types in chosen folder. Maybe I can export sample to youtube and paste link.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Had a medium to high power, believe a Sansui, tube type amp. Not certain of being correct but I like the notion that some vintage push/pull tube type with 8 pound transformer power out, exhibited a parasitic vibration of the control grids resulting in a more concert hall richness of sound Does that perception hold water?

upload_2022-8-5_13-5-27.png

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
With the 4 apps in one screen it is pretty smooth sailing to record a stereo sound clip. I have the Windows Media Player up because I can load file into playlist and WMP has graphic equalizer. It is still a problem trying to add a second recording to the initial file. Following attached files are photo of working monitor during recording, my $1.25 microphone, and a raw 30 second sound bite at link

Attachments

• RECOR WORKING SCREEN.jpg
    RECOR WORKING SCREEN.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DT HEADSET.jpg
    DT HEADSET.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 2

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I was recently looking for a way to stop Win10 notifying me with several annoying notifications. It appears you can but the caveat is, all notifications are turned off!.

One can disable or Enable sounds in control panel if that is what you are refering to.
Examples below where "Maximise" is highlighted and "None" is the selected sounds under the Sounds tab lower down.

Also example of Enabled where "Critical Battery Alarm" being the app and "Windows Foreground.wav" is the selected tab sound.

Disabled.jpg
Enabled.jpg

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
One can disable or Enable sounds in control panel if that is what you are refering to.
Examples below where "Maximise" is highlighted and "None" is the selected sounds under the Sounds tab lower down.

Also example of Enabled where "Critical Battery Alarm" being the app and "Windows Foreground.wav" is the selected tab sound.

View attachment 55871
View attachment 55872
What's your best guess as to where the "change of volume" notification sound resides? Thot I will try "system notifications."

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019

View attachment 55871
View attachment 55872
OK. I entered no sounds as sound choice. First time I failed to click OK button. Went back and hit OK button and volume change notification sound is mute. Neato. Oddly enough, my on screen keybd still clicks on each letter but that is not a problem in this situation.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
I entered no sounds as the sound scheme and volume change notification sound is mute. Cool. On screen keydb still clicks on every letter but not a problem in my situation.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019

Martin
I entered a No Sound scheme at the Sound tab in the sound control panel. Muted Volume Change notification and I think all sounds except kybd clicks. Different problem: I clicked on reply when viewing this reply from you. It brought me to this panel where I am typing now. If I go to Post Reply button, the action indicator lines above go for a while but my cursor is still live in this text and no indication that my reply was posted. What's up?

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019

View attachment 55871
View attachment 55872
I am liking my silent computer. I suppose that there may be a function that I may want to have a notification alert sound but haven't come across yet. I have found a nice Windows 10 forum which I will use for questions like this was, so as to not blur the border between computer use and electronics work. Thank you for your help.

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
The best place to ask about things like this is tenforums.com (the Windows 10 forum).

If I was playing back music with Windows Media Player and didn't want to hear volume control notifications I would use the volume control on WMP.

Personally, I prefer to control the volume by turning a physical knob when ever possible. You can get inexpensive amplifiers that are surprisingly light, surprisingly powerful and (most important) surprisingly good on eBay and Aliexpress (takes a while for them to arrive) so I mated a pair of small speakers to my main computer with one and didn't need the on screen volume control (although I still use it sometimes).

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
This sounds like a paraphrase of what Hankmars said in post #5 to me (and a rather poor one at that). Combined with the attempt to post a link I'd be suspicious that someone who joined specifically to post it is a spammer if I was a Mod here.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
This sounds like a paraphrase of what Hankmars said in post #5 to me (and a rather poor one at that). Combined with the attempt to post a link I'd be suspicious that someone who joined specifically to post it is a spammer if I was a Mod here.

yeah, it was, and I have deleted the post :)

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
So, what would a typical spammer be trying to do? Entice me to click on his site and offer me unbelievably good deals on audio or other electronics? Just yesterday I allowed myself to get sucked in to the survey gig. I suppose that there may be a more desirable group of people that are of greater interest to vendors and perhaps they could make a couple bucks answering question. Me, retired, no kids in the house, token SS income, just doesn't have much to get bilked out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.