Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wanted: Desperately seeking old caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Brown

Jun 8, 2018
I badly need at least two older capacitors: 50 VDC, 8700 μf; can-type with three leads, one nonconnected, placed radially; distance between + and - leads is about 14.5mm. The radius is 30mm and the height above the PCB about 64mm.

ELNA was the original manufacturer, I've been checking through manufacturer and distributor websites, eBay, etc., with no luck. I'd be most grateful if someone could point me to more resources.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Why?

Do you want something that looks original?

If you've removed a bad part, there is the option of opening it up, emptying it out and placing a modern part inside.

Another option is to leave there faulty part in place and put a modern part (which is likely much smaller) in an inconspicuous place.

In retrospect, that value doesn't sound too much like a vintage part. Have you tried searching on digikey's site (by physical attribute)?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you've removed a bad part, there is the option of opening it up, emptying it out and placing a modern part inside.
Otherwise known as 'stuffing' and a popular method amongst the vintage restoration crowd.

Rich Brown

Jun 8, 2018
Why?

Do you want something that looks original?

Another option is to leave there faulty part in place and put a modern part (which is likely much smaller) in an inconspicuous place.

In retrospect, that value doesn't sound too much like a vintage part. Have you tried searching on digikey's site (by physical attribute)?

Appearance is irrelevant; I just threw in the dimensions for cross-reference. The only crucial items are the values, although it would be nice if the terminal spacing matched the PCB.

I have in fact been through the Digi-keys charts about 3 times, and the 50 vdc/8700 mfd combination seems to be extinct there as well as everywhere else. I've come across a few 8700 mfd rated at 40 vdc, but these are for my JVC RX-450 receiver and I don't want to fry anything. I'm a DIY guy and don't have that much knowledge of tolerances. Could I use a 40 volt cap safely?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's hard to know if a lower voltage rated capacitor would be acceptable. However a higher voltage and/or a slightly higher capacitance (say 10,000uF) should be fine.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
10,000μF 63V would be appropriate. They'll be a lot smaller (physically) than the originals so easy enough to fit. If they are board-mounted you could even drill a hole to cable-tie them down.

Rich Brown

Jun 8, 2018
It's hard to know if a lower voltage rated capacitor would be acceptable. However a higher voltage and/or a slightly higher capacitance (say 10,000uF) should be fine.
Thanks, *Steve*. Those are the kinds of details I'm fuzzy on.

Rich Brown

Jun 8, 2018
10,000μF 63V would be appropriate. They'll be a lot smaller (physically) than the originals so easy enough to fit. If they are board-mounted you could even drill a hole to cable-tie them down.
Thanks, kellys_eye. I believe I've seen that combination of values.

Status
Not open for further replies.