Maker Pro
Maker Pro

digital timer that can be set to a minimum of six different times

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcat22

Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for taking time to read this post. I realize it is rather long.
If you are not a patient person, you may wish to simply skip reading this.

I live in Washington DC and
am looking to purchase something very specific, preferably from a reputable online retailer.
I am a simple person, without any formal education. I know nothing about electronics or engineering.
I hope you can be patient with those facts.

I'm searching for something that has been surprisingly
difficult to find.

you might know of other internet consumer bulletin boards/forums that might
be better places to ask this question?
There don't seem to be very many at all.

I am well aware that most modern cell phones easily fill the requirements
that I am about to describe. Unfortunately, this item is needed for elderly people
who are very suspicious of and dislike all things new.

Even if perfect, it's going to be a battle to get them to try it or use what I am searching for.

So. Here we go. Maybe I can't find ALL the features, but here is what I am hoping to find:

This needs to be a digital timer that can be set to go off at a minimum of six different times in one
twenty four hour period, regularly.

It has to have both an audible alarm and a strong vibration, and it has to be switchable between these two.
Even better if it also flashes or lights up when the alarm goes off, and that also has to be optional, switchable.
Very good if the strength of the sound or vibration can be adjusted easily.

Should have a belt clip, preferably made out of metal, not cheap plastic.

Should have a place where a neck rope could be easily attached and detached.

Should have buttons that can be locked, so that no accidental changes by accidental bumping will occur.

Should be water resistant. I'm talking about it being able to take a splash from a sink, not something to withstand being taken in the shower.

Should also function as a typical normal digital watch with calendar feature. should be SWITCHABLE between
calendar and clock view, so that all letters and numbers are as LARGE as physically possible,not all crammed on
one tiny screen.

Display should be larger than a normal watch, but the overall device must be small enough that a senior would not
be upset to wear it around the neck or put it in a pocket, such as a normal shirt pocket.

Great if it includes a strong LED flashlight feature, something with an on/off button, NOT a button that you have to hold the button
down every second that you want the light to beam.

Display should either be always backlit or at least have a button that will make the display light up without having to hold that
button down the entire time you want it backlit.

Great if it came with a DVD of instructions with video, not a flimsy booklet with tiny letters written by someone who can't correctly speak English.

It must run on batteries that can be purchased at any national retail chain, such as WalMart or Target. Fine if it has a very long life
rechargeable battery built in, but not so fine if that battery is welded in so that it deliberately cannot ever be replaced.

Good if it is able to run on the type of rechargeable replaceable batteries such as Nickle Metal Hydride or one of the others, without
damage to the device.

If it MUST be a plug into the wall rechargeable type, the cable cannot be a tiny pain in backside USB cable, it should be very simple and EASY for someone
with arthritis and bad eyesight to plug in, perhaps with a charging cradle dedicated for the purpose, which can just be left plugged in somewhere.

The charging device should have bright clear LED
lights showing both that the device is currently charging as it should be, and another light that will FLASH to indicate it is now fully charged.

Should sell for a price that a person that worked a lower middle class life and now barely gets by on Social Security could afford to buy.
This device is not for me, if that matters at all. It is for people I care about.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
For my wife's pills, I have a five-alarm timer (only) I picked up on ebay for around $3. The display is plenty large enough, but programming it is quirky; the instructions were exceptionally poor and I just played with it until I figured it out.

I know of nothing that fits all, or even most of your requirements. None of them are difficult, and a PIC or Atmel microcontroller could do all of them. And there are C++ wizards on this and other forums who could whip out the code in 30 days. The problem is the rest of development. Although there is nothing dangerous or complex about the product, testing and safety certification will take time and money. So will the packaging, almost certainly a custom case and charging cradle. A large part of the selling price will be for product liability insurance.

One approach is to document your idea and work with a patent attorney. Once patented, you can shop it around to any medical device company that specializes in small devices for the home market, like the ones that make blood glucose level meters for the diabetes market.

ak

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....H0.Xpill+timer.TRS0&_nkw=pill+timer&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Cl...fb7b85d:g:m7sAAOSwvxZZeaEX:rk:2:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Googling 'pill timer' or 'pill reminder' brings up lots of hits but, like AK, I think it will prove difficult to find something meeting all your requirements. Good luck with the hunt, though.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
T
And there are C++ wizards on this and other forums who could whip out the code in 30 days.
Try 3 days, to me, the software is the easy part :)

Having just gone though several years of dealing with my elderly father-in-law, now deceased, I was tempted to develop something like this. But my plan was even more ambitious. I would have had it play recorded messages for each alarm to tell him exactly what it was time to do. From my experience, a beep or flashing light would not have done it.

It is interesting that you have come to an electronics forum to ask this question. We are not experts in consumer products or especially in elder care products. Are you hoping to get someone interested in developing such a product?

Bob

Sid723

Jan 28, 2010
Bearcat22, sounds like an old CBer handle. You have a good heart, my friend. If more people like you put forth the effort to take care of our elderly, this nation would not have issues with elderly care.

As BobK said, software would not be an issue, hardware is not an issue for me and I am sure for others on this site familiar with the hardware necessary to meet your requirements. I am sure there is someone out there that can design and 3D print a water-tight container for your device with a large enough area for a readout and pushbuttons. PIC microprocessors are also small enough to fit within such a device along with a piezoelectric or small speaker. For a watch type device it would have to have a powerful enough coin-type lithium battery such as the CR2477. My home security sensors use these and they last a good 6 - 8 months.

While I am not the one to take on such a project, I am certain there are groups out there that are not only up to the task, but would also benefit from such a product themselves. The best thing you can do is get the word out to as many forums and sources as you can. One such organization that comes to mind is on Facebook and is called 'ATMakers'. Although they are more geared to the Assistive Technology market, they are nonetheless interested in helping those that cannot help themselves through technological innovations. There are also forums at PIC Micro website (https://www.microchip.com/forums/) and Adafruit (https://forums.adafruit.com/) just to name a few. Don't stop looking, and if I see any other resources during my travels, I will be sure to add them to this post.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.