Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Digital Walking Cane

Crystal Wizard

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks. I think that clarifies things.
I'm picking up a Pi Nano tonight (a friend has one spare), and will hopefully be talking to a friend, who teaches electronics, over the weekend.
Will report back!

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
OK, too much reading done. Back to asking stupid questions!
Feel free to tag me as #DamnNoob! :)

I'm looking at Arduino, Particle (photon), AdaFruit (Flora) ... they all seem "Arduino Compatible". Am I going to run into any traps by using any of these? Specifically, Particle seem to provide a LOT of back-up and software and stuff - will i be stuck in Particle-Land, or can I get out easily?

Current options are:
Particle Internet Button (includes Photon). Tether wifi to phone and join Particle Cloud.
AdaFruit Flora (Nice shape! lots of add-ons. Specifically made "Wearable")

How compatible are different company modules? e.g. AdaFruit do a nice Accelerometer/Gyroscope/Magnetometer. Will it work on a Particle, or Arduino?

Aside:
I've found my old (20+yrs) electronics stash! I think I can salvage a breadboard and a pack of resistors! The soldering irons have rust on them, and the multimeter doesn't seem to work (maybe just battery). Time for a trip to Maplins (or t'interwebz equivalent)

Weird, I didn't get a notification for this reply.. email's messed up again

I've programmed for both Particle and Arduino, and I can say that no, you won't get stuck :)

The Particle and Arduino both use pretty much the same methods/functions, syntax, and ways of going about doing stuff. A Photon is essentially an Arduino with a built-in WiFi module, the only change you would probably have to make if you got into using a Photon and wanted to switch to Arduino, would be that you would need some kind of WiFi module for the Arduino.

Crystal Wizard

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks. Good to know I can swap 'n' change :)

Next sticking point is multi-tasking.
I want to have several sensors (with buttons to switch on/off), and be able to run several at once.
Most projects I look at are single-use, and loop a single task.
What is a good way of running e.g. a temperature sensor (constantly updating LEDs), a wifi strength indicator (same), GPS (press to display co-ordinates) all at the same time? I found this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/multi-tasking-the-arduino-part-1/
at AdaFruit. Instead of the loops using Delay(x), you check the clock against the required pause using millis(), and loop round all of the functions.

Crystal Wizard

Feb 10, 2016
OK, thanks for all the help, everyone! Very useful!

I've started looking into actually building stuff, and realised that I haven't touched a circuit in over 20 years, so I'm going to build some test bits on a breadboard and see how I get along! I'll start with some VERY simple circuits ( First: 9v to 5v voltage regulator to power my breadboard from a 9v battery!), and get used to reading resistor codes, identifying components, etc. Once I'm confident with that, I'll start looking at programming my NanoPI (or pick up a Arduino/Photon/other) and flashing a few LEDs.
After that, I'll be ready to jump in the deep end! :)

Have ordered a bunch of basic components to get me started!

Wish me luck!

Will keep you informed of progress!

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
OK, thanks for all the help, everyone! Very useful!

I've started looking into actually building stuff, and realised that I haven't touched a circuit in over 20 years, so I'm going to build some test bits on a breadboard and see how I get along! I'll start with some VERY simple circuits ( First: 9v to 5v voltage regulator to power my breadboard from a 9v battery!), and get used to reading resistor codes, identifying components, etc. Once I'm confident with that, I'll start looking at programming my NanoPI (or pick up a Arduino/Photon/other) and flashing a few LEDs.
After that, I'll be ready to jump in the deep end! :)

Have ordered a bunch of basic components to get me started!

Wish me luck!

Will keep you informed of progress!

Good luck! :)

Crystal Wizard

Feb 10, 2016
UPDATE: I have not received my bag of bits yet, so just had a very quick play with what I can salvage from old box.
I struggle to read resistor codes (too tiny for my failing eyes, and not sure which way round they are!). Multimeter helps!
I can't identify my bags of capacitors and transistors. Probably just buy new ones.

I have made a circuit on a bread board! :)
9V battery, 1k resistor. Red LED. IT LIGHTS UP! W00t! :)

That's all for now. Let's see what the weekend brings.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
UPDATE: I have not received my bag of bits yet, so just had a very quick play with what I can salvage from old box.
I struggle to read resistor codes (too tiny for my failing eyes, and not sure which way round they are!). Multimeter helps!
I can't identify my bags of capacitors and transistors. Probably just buy new ones.

I have made a circuit on a bread board! :)
9V battery, 1k resistor. Red LED. IT LIGHTS UP! W00t! :)

That's all for now. Let's see what the weekend brings.
Magnifying glass helps... the numbers on some parts gets really really tiny.
it is possible to measure capacitors and inductors, but most meters don't have this function... so peering through reading glasses or a magnifier of some kind is very useful.

Crystal Wizard

Feb 10, 2016
OK, this one is on the back boiler for the moment.

My first bag of stuffs has arrived, and I shall first be putting some VERY basic circuits together on breadboard, and then moving on to this project:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/assorted-gubbins-on-toy-tank.277654/

Once I've got that well under way, I'll be coming back to The Cane, and we'll see where we are ...

Thanks for all the help.

Backyard Fun

Jan 28, 2017
:)
No, it's a genuine project!

I've got a friend who can do the woodwork to make a cane, once I know what I need to put in it.

I've not finalised what I want in it, but some gizmos to make it seem a bit 'majical'(see my user name).

You certainly you wouldn't be the first to think of digitizing his walking cane.
Can't see why a cane can't have a strip of blinking red LEDs for crossing the road. A powerful LED flashlight. A digital thermometer. A pointer laser. A micro iPod. And whatever else one can imagine that would fit into a cane with current technology.
Knowledge and imagination... :D