Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dimango door chime fried

mikras1

Mar 17, 2012
The Dimango 3250 wireless door chime stopped working. Resistor R32 with the gray ash looking coating appears to be the worst fried part. Is it possible that only this 1 resistor went bad and everything else is okay?
Seems like this resistor is part of the voltage reducing area of the circuit. Could I put x VDC downstream of where the 110AC is reduced and see if the rest works? If so what would the voltage be? In the old days, I got things working by replacing bad transformers and rectifiers, but this seems to use resistors and diodes to convert the high voltage down.

I already spent more time than it would cost to buy a new one of these, but I'm a repair rather than replace kind of guy, so if there's an easy fix I'll try it.
Thanks for the help,
Mike

Attachments

• 007s.jpg
    007s.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 008s.jpg
    008s.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 256

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Mike
welcome to the forums :)

do the wires from the transformer go to those 2 holes to the right of the big red capacitor ?
Have you measured the output voltage from the transformer ?
thats a pretty essential thing to do first before sticking in random DC voltages and frying something else.
Have you tried to measure the value of that grey resistor ? can you read the colour bands on it ?

NOTE: they do make grey resistors, that one may or may not be faulty

there's a few things for you to do for a start

cheers
Dave

mikras1

Mar 17, 2012
Dave - Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.
>do the wires from the transformer go to those 2 holes to the right of the big red capacitor ?
By transformer I assume you are talking about the blue one in the upper right corner. One side of the transformer goes the Red/blue speaker wires and the other side goes to the green capacitor

>Have you measured the output voltage from the transformer ?
the output is 0 DC on both sides
>thats a pretty essential thing to do first before sticking in random DC voltages and f>rying something else.
>Have you tried to measure the value of that grey resistor ? can you read the colour >bands on it ?
the grey resistor is BrownBlackBrown and measures 147 Ohms, so I think it is okay.
The 2 holes to the right of the big red cap are the 110 AC. There is a small resistor hidden behind the red cap. This resistor is in parallel with the cap and they are the first things in the hot circuit. The small resistor looks to be Brownblackgreen (100k) but measures 1M Ohm.
Also I measured the voltage downstream of the diodes and it is 25 VDC.

If any of this helps, let me know, but I think it's getting impractical to fix.