Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Distorted sound from a Electronic drum module Legacy dd502

Jerryplan

Feb 20, 2016
Hello, i just bought a second hand electronic drum kit for my son. When i tested it, it had a sound issue, it was cutting out a bit, but because it had a jack adapter (6.5mm to 3.5mm), i thought it was the problem. But suddenly the sound became distorted, a bit fuzzy, not sharp and clear. I've tried 2 more outputs and it sounds the same. So it's not coming from the jacks. I opened the module and checked for damaged capacitors (just visually). The only suspicious component seems to be a crystal 9.600MHz which has a brown residue at the base, like a rusty colour. Is a crystal could have an impact on the sound coming out of the module?
If someone could help me please?
I attached 2 pictures of the boardtop-left-headphone-jpg.2036.jpg top-jpg.2035.jpg
The crystal that i'm talking about is on the first picture on the left of the chipset labelled "DREAM".
Thank you!

jerryplan

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
The goo could be flux residue. I doubt the crystal is the culprit if you're getting sound, albeit distorted. I'd guess it's a power supply fault.
Can't tell from the pic, but is the top of the big left-hand cap bulging at all?

Jerryplan

Feb 20, 2016
Hi Alec_t,
Found the issue, it was me! Did have some issue with sound to start with, but probably because of adapter. But then I realised that the power supply was a 12Vdc and not a 9Vdc as recommended. So i found a 9V in the shed but I just realised that it was a 9Vac. That is the issue, not paying attention. The unit is working fine.
Thanks for your reply anyway.