Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Diving into JTAG

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Hello everyone, the past few days i got my hands on two very nice tools that i would like to get to learn how to use. 1st is an ABI JTAG master and the 2nd is a JTAGULATOR board. There are videos on youtube about JTAG and JTAGULATOR but since i have never used tools like these before and it's my first time with JTAG in general, it is hard for me to understand them.

I want to get to know how to use these tools in order to diagnose faulty IC's and damaged PCB's not to reverse engineer boards or extract software.

Could someone please point me to the "right direction" ? I know that usually there is no easy way of working with those tools, but i sure want to try !

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Kalimera Constantin,

are you familiar with JTAG at all? Is your question related to JTAG in general or to these tools specifically?
I want to get to know how to use these tools in order to diagnose faulty IC's and damaged PCB's not to reverse engineer boards or extract software.
These tools will be useful only if the components on the pcb are JTAG-enabled. You will still need more "conventional" tools like multimeter, oscilloscope, logic analyzer for those components (incl. the pcb) that are not JTAG-enabled.

Here are some links to information about JTAG in general:

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Guten tag Harald,
i want to get to know both jtag in general and the specific tools if possible. I mean if someone knows how to put those tools in practical use, i would appreciate the assistance. I have those at work and i do want to learn how to use them.
Further more if someone can suggest some budget jtag tool (like 20[imath]-40[/imath] from ebay ?) that would be awesome too because i would like to have jtag tools for personal use.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020