Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Diy analog sound chip for dc HO model locomotive. Help!

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
Thanks for the reply.
Well yes, Except this modules are to big (and a little expensive!).
The scale I have is HO/OO.
You can buy expensive wireless sound systems for model trains (DCC), but I like working on electronics
and have been searching for a cheap alternative. I found that video on YouTube and it seems the guy
ether made what he shows or he purchased it.
Know how I could build something small like this?

Thanks Again.

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
I have used these in the past, record what you want, $1.98 Ebay.
ISD1820 Sound Voice Recording Playback Module With Mic Sound Audio Loud speaker
Thanks for the reply!
I have seen those as well. But do you know if it can they be wired like his (And if you do could you explain it to me?)? He has a steam engine one as well.
It is wired so that when more power go's to the train it sounds louder or as if he engine is getting faster (see video).

In the end I could buy one of these and push the button manually, but It would be nice to have start automatedly.
Thanks again!

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
Best buy a sound module lik e.g. one of these.
Uh, sorry. put my reply in the wrong spot!
Thanks for the reply.
Well yes, Except this modules are to big (and a little expensive!).
The scale I have is HO/OO.
You can buy expensive wireless sound systems for model trains (DCC), but I like working on electronics
and have been searching for a cheap alternative. I found that video on YouTube and it seems the guy
ether made what he shows or he purchased it.
Know how I could build something small like this?

Thanks Again.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for the reply!

It is wired so that when more power go's to the train it sounds louder or as if he engine is getting faster (see video).

In the end I could buy one of these and push the button manually, but It would be nice to have start automatedly.
Thanks again!
They only record for about 10 secs, but you can record what sound you wish off of another source.

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
Hello,

You could also have a look at greeting card modules:

Bertus
Thanks.

This is still not really what I am looking for.
Althouth I did some reshearch and if I wired this-
where the button is on the greeting card, would it work as A "wireless switch". If not, is here something like this.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The module used in the YT video does seem to be 'pro' quality and, as such, was potentially available to the market so an extensive search (that I tried but to no good effect - potentially the wrong search words) would be required. Then again, if it was a DIY effort it was good one! and given you can have PCBs made professionally this may indeed be the case. Have you tried contacting the YT-er? You never know.

I do see your reasoning - the tone and frequency (repetition) varies with speed/load. This is probably fairly easily achieved in a small microcontroller that uses D-A sampling of the sound - the YT video, although not in close-up, seems to indicate an 8-pin controller and a separate D-A device (potentially just an audio amp with the D-A done in the controller too).

Without looking in to the DCC protocols I can't comment further but using the data (which sets speed?) you could easily use that code to control the sound.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I have seen 25mm square cube bluetooth amps which have been used in model trains such as this.
They are relatively cheap (maybe [imath]20-[/imath]30) and self contained with their own rechargable battery.
Communication with the amp is done via any phone and one can use any sound file as the file comes from the phone.
Mate of mine uses one in his model train for loco horn sounds.
Press button on the phone app and the bluetooth does the rest.

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
The module used in the YT video does seem to be 'pro' quality and, as such, was potentially available to the market so an extensive search (that I tried but to no good effect - potentially the wrong search words) would be required. Then again, if it was a DIY effort it was good one! and given you can have PCBs made professionally this may indeed be the case. Have you tried contacting the YT-er? You never know.

I do see your reasoning - the tone and frequency (repetition) varies with speed/load. This is probably fairly easily achieved in a small microcontroller that uses D-A sampling of the sound - the YT video, although not in close-up, seems to indicate an 8-pin controller and a separate D-A device (potentially just an audio amp with the D-A done in the controller too).

Without looking in to the DCC protocols I can't comment further but using the data (which sets speed?) you could easily use that code to control the sound.
Thank you so much!
Man, you didn't have to go out of your way and research that for me (but I am glad you did!).
So I thought the same thing. I am pretty sure he made it, as I have not found anything like it.
I was going to ask him but someone beat me to it and he never responded.
The video is three years old so, I would think, If he did not respond then, he would not now. But I may try.

By looking at this video--->

could you maybe tell what he used?
I am young and still new to electronics, so can you explain a little more easily what you are saying here?

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
I have seen 25mm square cube bluetooth amps which have been used in model trains such as this.
They are relatively cheap (maybe [imath]20-[/imath]30) and self contained with their own rechargable battery.
Communication with the amp is done via any phone and one can use any sound file as the file comes from the phone.
Mate of mine uses one in his model train for loco horn sounds.
Press button on the phone app and the bluetooth does the rest.

Lol!
I have seen this method. As a matter of fact This would solve my problem entirely (Well mostly anyway.) Except I don't
have a phone (I am young and have never been that kid with his head suck in the phone lol.)
Literally as we speak, I am trying to flash A custom rom on my old LG optimus V, to bring it up to date.
If I succeed and I am able to install the Bachmann EZ app, then that will solve my problem.
But of course, this is my first time doing this, so I got stuck.
Waiting for a respond on XDA for help.

Thank you anyway!
Btw I cant ask Android questions on here, can I?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Surely you can find an old phone with bluetooth..must be gazillions around you could get for next to nothing.

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
Surely you can find an old phone with bluetooth..must be gazillions around you could get for next to nothing.
Yes, You are right, to a degree.
I did look and the ones that are 'next to nothing' are old as well.
If the phone is too old the app won't work on it, therefor I would be at square one,
trying to flash a Rom to bring it up to date.
I will keep looking though, If I can find a newer one then that would solve the problem as well!

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I found this diy project.

Then there is this video on installing a sound module in a diesel locomotive.

On Aliexpress I found this inexpensive module.

There is also the option to place the sound unit in a passenger car if there is insufficient space inside the locomotive. If space is an issue, you may also consider placing the sound module and the speaker in different units, e.g. the sound module in the first passenger car and only the speaker in the locomotive. There is a drawback, however: locomotive and passenger car need to be connected by a very flexible wire and cannot easily be separated.

A huge selection of sounds specific to the type of locomotive matched to different decoders and speakers is here (for Diesel scroll down the page).

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A sample of the sound is stored in memory that can be replayed at various speeds (matching the movement of the train). Detecting the speed of the train is (probably) done by reading the DCC code being sent to it. The 'tone' can be altered digitally to match the 'load' on the train - potentially by monitoring the motor current but also possible by monitoring the 'change' in acceleration.

Microcontrollers have sufficient memory to both store a sample of the sound and space for the code necessary to monitor the DCC signal and process the data accordingly - it's not 'difficult' in an electronic sense as many competent micro programmers on here would attest but certainly an uphill task for someone without the knowledge.

I've seen various sellers with sound modules for specific trains (types) but they don't show any more details about what it is you get so there is 'potentially' already a solution - you'll have to visit their sites and try to get more information from them.

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
I found this diy project.

Then there is this video on installing a sound module in a diesel locomotive.

On Aliexpress I found this inexpensive module.

There is also the option to place the sound unit in a passenger car if there is insufficient space inside the locomotive. If space is an issue, you may also consider placing the sound module and the speaker in different units, e.g. the sound module in the first passenger car and only the speaker in the locomotive. There is a drawback, however: locomotive and passenger car need to be connected by a very flexible wire and cannot easily be separated.

A huge selection of sounds specific to the type of locomotive matched to different decoders and speakers is here (for Diesel scroll down the page).

Harald Kapp, Thank you.​

As I told kellys_eye, you didn't have to go out of your way and research that for me (but I am glad you did!).
The first project is almost exactly what I was looking for!
As mentioned I am new to electronics so building it maybe a little hard, but I with some practice (and patience!) I should
be able to build this! The hardest part will be finding the parts.

Ok, the seconded video is DCC. I would like to someday upgraded to it but it is expensive just to get a 'cheap' Starter set.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402361468503?hash=item5dae9cc657:g:UMkAAOSwcBlfNa9Q

The third one is cool, but expensive as well.

The last one had some good tips. And though the guy was using it for S scale trains I still found it helpful!

Thanks again.
The first one Is just like in the video. With some hard work and learning I can try and build this (And if not, then maybe I could hire someone!).

XgamerAtMaker.pro

Dec 18, 2023
A sample of the sound is stored in memory that can be replayed at various speeds (matching the movement of the train). Detecting the speed of the train is (probably) done by reading the DCC code being sent to it. The 'tone' can be altered digitally to match the 'load' on the train - potentially by monitoring the motor current but also possible by monitoring the 'change' in acceleration.

Microcontrollers have sufficient memory to both store a sample of the sound and space for the code necessary to monitor the DCC signal and process the data accordingly - it's not 'difficult' in an electronic sense as many competent micro programmers on here would attest but certainly an uphill task for someone without the knowledge.

I've seen various sellers with sound modules for specific trains (types) but they don't show any more details about what it is you get so there is 'potentially' already a solution - you'll have to visit their sites and try to get more information from them.
OK Thanks.
I may look around and see if I could find A wholesale price on some of these.