Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY Kindle Remote Page Turner

jaykaye31

Jul 15, 2023
Hey all, I'm looking to DIY a kindle page turner. I'm a software engineer my trade, but have little experience with electronics aside from a beginners circuit kit. My ideal build would be a remote controller that I make with 3 buttons: page left, page right, and voice activation (ambitious, I know).

I found a fairly old tutorial here but it's from 2015. Might still be worth a shot but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it. Another tutorial here that seems to require Kindles with a physical button. It also uses a smartphone but I'd love to create my own controller for it.

Has anyone here tried anything like this? Or do you have any ideas how I might start on this?

Thanks!

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
Here is a simple design where i had to control a remote hotspot by pressing
its button remotely with a servo to bypass a blocking menu item.

ESP8266 Nodemcu primary HW. And a servo connected to it.

Code done in block language, Tuniot.

Regards, Dana.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
They're just having a little fun, at your expense.
Welcome to Maker Pro!
Unfortunately there are too many humans in the world who suffer from disabilities not of their own making who cannot even lift or
hold an e-reader or navigate
it's touch screen controls.
You can train a cat to do that.
Different version e-readers or generations of e-readers are pressure touch sensitive or capacitive sensitive and even IR detection so one has to only hover a finger over the screen to turn a page. Example below is the first one I found.
I believe more research is in order. So you can stay ahead of the technology also, backward compatible. Multiple sensory inputs perhaps, with the blink of an eye.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
This is also old
In the world of hardware & if one is inexperienced, it is good to have the mindset independent of new or old technology as long as it applies & it has been proven to work. Quite often it kicks off one's own imagination resulting in a new perspective combining technologies & you being a programmer would be ahead of the game

jaykaye31

Jul 15, 2023
They're just having a little fun, at your expense.
Welcome to Maker Pro!
Unfortunately there are too many humans in the world who suffer from disabilities not of their own making who cannot even lift or
hold an e-reader or navigate
it's touch screen controls.
You can train a cat to do that.
Different version e-readers or generations of e-readers are pressure touch sensitive or capacitive sensitive and even IR detection so one has to only hover a finger over the screen to turn a page. Example below is the first one I found.
I believe more research is in order. So you can stay ahead of the technology also, backward compatible. Multiple sensory inputs perhaps, with the blink of an eye.

Haha yeah I know, I figured. All in good fun.

Thank you for the link and for the replies. This is definitely a novelty project for me to help better learn / understanding electronics and the hardware side. It's something I'd love to be able to iterate on as well. Maybe start with something mechanical that physical presses the kindle, then moving on to IR or even voice activated controls. Seems like the sky is the limit

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Here is a clever example, I hope these screenshots kick off,your imagination.
Screenshot_20230722_154444.jpg
Screenshot_20230722_154307.jpg
Screenshot_20230722_154034.jpgScreenshot_20230722_153916.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_154201.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154201.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Book and Tablet Team (B.A.T.T.) Final Project Report.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9