Maker Pro
Maker Pro

diy metal detector

tntech

Mar 15, 2016
Has anyone built their own metal detector? My goal isn't to build one for the sake of saving money, but rather to make one much more powerful than the off the shelf type.
Thanks

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
If you are genetically qualified, you could learn dowsing. If you want to do it electronically, there are several different approaches that work reasonably well, depending on distance and metal size. There are plenty of DIY versions of metal detectors available in the Internet. Be prepared for a huge variation in capability. I tend to agree with @Colin Mitchell concerning your ability to "make one much more powerful than the off the shelf type". This is a very mature market filled with hyperbole and unfulfilled promises.

tntech

Mar 15, 2016
If you are genetically qualified, you could learn dowsing. If you want to do it electronically, there are several different approaches that work reasonably well, depending on distance and metal size. There are plenty of DIY versions of metal detectors available in the Internet. Be prepared for a huge variation in capability. I tend to agree with @Colin Mitchell concerning your ability to "make one much more powerful than the off the shelf type". This is a very mature market filled with hyperbole and unfulfilled promises.

When I purchased the one I have now (from a large reputable dealer) there was one that costs close to ten thousand dollars because it could go a few feet underground. So I know a stronger one exists. But the price was a bit much for me.
Thank you for the replies.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
There might be a good reason for the ten thousand dollar price. Have you done any research on metal detectors? Principle of operation? Minimum size of objects detected? Depth of detection? Type of soil object can be detected in? Detection through water? If you want to build something, it helps to know how others have successfully built theirs. Then you can go from there to make it less expensively.

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
Fisher gold bug, Quite good cheap to run.(Batteries) Minelab supposedly the best Have not used one. Building your own ?? Google pieter heydelaar